Tablets, Ereaders Signaling the End of Physical Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I will never spend money of a "virtual" book. I like paper. I demand to receive something for them to receive my money.

joeshardware

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
This "news" article title leaves me feeling trolled into reading it. I'll bite though because I'm bored today.

Answer
Not for me. You can't buy used e-books for used paper book prices.

Besides when civilization collapses in 2012, how will I read without power?

Retailers just aren't thinking progressively these days.

G

No. Can't buy used ebooks at used book prices. Can't sell ebooks when finished with them. Can't check ebooks out for free at the local library

unempit

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Living in a world as envisioned in "Mockingbird" by Walter Tevis. Hmm... I wonder if it is available for e-readers...

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Maybe we will see a resurgence in finely-crafted leatherbound collector books? Low-volume, high profit is the last refuge of the physical book.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Joeshardware2[/nom]Tablets, Ereaders Signaling the End of Physical Books?No. Can't buy used ebooks at used book prices. Can't sell ebooks when finished with them. Can't check ebooks out for free at the local library[/citation]

Actually you can check out ebooks at most libraries.

Everyone seems bent on not being able to resale or purchase used books, but I ask how many of you got a free edition of the entire works of Plato, Dickens, Verne, Poe like my wife did this year? At best you would still have to pay a buck or two for used copies of these free out of copyright e-books. Ereaders have some downfalls but I think the upside is well worth it. As far as some Apocalypse ending electricity and society as we know it with books being our only source of information, do you really think libraries will survive if power plants don't?

Tom's has a strange following some are hellbent on getting bleeding edge tech while others cling to keeping things the same. I like the feel of a book in my hands for reading, I also like my wife's e-reader tons of free books/games, acts as a MP3 player, and limited web connectivity no paperback does that for me.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Each has their place. I'm thinking more and more about getting an e-reader if only for the convenience, but I have no intention of abandoning tangible paper books.
What I'd really like is, for a nominal fee (e.g. $0.25-$0.50 per book) to be able to take all the actual books I already own somewhere and get the same book in an e-reader format.

unempit

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I would consider getting an e-reader mainly since my allergies seem to get the better of me with newspapers and old paperback books. The irony is that I can only afford books through the library, book exchange, or thrift stores so I really can't afford an e-reader. I'll probably wait for a nice faux leather bound e-paper book.

intel4004

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Not everyone can concentrate reading on a tablet with the Angry birds ringing in their head "play me". Paper books are great, they don't need battery.

mostwantd1

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Maybe saving a few trees here and there will keep from this inevitable end of the world thingy, eh? BTW, if that day does come, there'll be plenty of paper books to loot anyways!!!

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Bunch of reactionaries here
ahem...to address a few concerns:

1 - If civilization collapses, trust me. you will have far more pressing matters on your mind than your book of the month club.
2- E-readers will get cheaper and cheaper until in a few years they will almost give them away.
3 - You will be able to check e-books out of libraries. heck, you can now.

panders4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I wonder if people made a fuss about moving from engravings in stone and metal to paper? No! paper will never last! What if a civilization collapses? How will anyone ever know if everything burns or erodes!? We'll be doomed!

I'm sure paper will still be used for art and collecting, just like engravings. Some people think print books are nice and will collect them. However, printing is already too burdensome for daily news and periodicals. Top seller books and encyclopedias are following.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I wish I had a million bucks. I'd save bookstores if I did, and get even richer in the process. All it takes is an automated book printing and binding shop. If you want a paper book, just place your order via smartphone or internet connection and it goes into the shop and presto, a freshly printed book for you to read in an hour or less. All books will be printed in the same form factor and same paper. No hardback books. No color pictures.

No books to stock...except maybe a 5 copies each of the best seller list. everything else is made to order.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I will always prefer paper books. I find them easier to read, and more relaxing too.
No matter how flash and fancy these tablets get, paper will always be for me

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
As long as there is a need to "plug in to charge said device" (even with solar power) there will always be a need for some form of physical media ( gonna be hard to charge your i-KindleFireDroid when it's dark outside ( leave alone a storm season or cloudy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.