Taking laptop apart - ESD protection?

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hello,

Im taking my laptop apart, its been 4 years, i need to clean fans and change thermal grease under CPU and GPU.
I have no problem with taking it apart, putting it together. I have service manual and seen some vids about taking my laptop apart.

The thing that bothers me is ESD protection. Should i worry about it?
There are ESD mats (for table and under feet), ESD bands for wrist and boots, ESD gloves.
Im sure there is use for them but, most likely certification etc. companies gotta have it and im thinking should i equip myself with something like that and with what? All of them? Only mat and wristband? Or mat and gloves?
Ive never experiences of electrostatic discharge in my own home (like touching something and feeling pop or zap) the air in my house is pretty humid (for comparison at my university the air is very dry and you can get zapped with electrostatic discharge by touching almost anything).

So im asking, from your experience, is it necessary to buy anti ESD accessories or not? And if yes, do i need all of them or only basic ones?

Also from what i read, almost any information about ESD accessories is related to soldering electronic components (they tell you to connect ESD bands, mats etc. to your soldering iron or to "ground") but ive never found one about anti ESD protection when taking laptop apart.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I have literally taken hundreds of laptops apart and back together without any ESD gear, with no problems at all. I've even soldered with no such gear. Just don't do the work on a carpeted floor.