TDK Reveals 1TB Optical Disc; Blu-ray Frowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I could see a 1TB disc being a great economical alternative to external hard drives when it comes to backing up my media server. As long as the discs aren't $20.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
The rate at which storage capacities are increasing is absolutely staggering! In the not too distant future, we are going to need better file systems. Current hierarchical file structures just won't cut it.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Today we have reached a new milestone! We have a disk with enough space to backup the entirety of everything stored in the human brain!

We began our tests with the cast of Jersey Shore and sadly found we only needed 2 floppy disks...

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]cbrownx88[/nom]Disc's are out of date though...give me a flash drive[/citation]
Personally I would have liked to see MicroSD cards catch on like flash drives, but too few computers have built-in readers for it. Something about how small the chip is just makes it feel movie-like when moving large amounts of data around. =)

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]I could see a 1TB disc being a great economical alternative to external hard drives when it comes to backing up my media server. As long as the discs aren't $20.[/citation]

Currently $20 buys me one hundred single-layer DVDs, total about 430 GB. I'd be happy to pay $20 or even $40 for a single disk that takes a lot less room and stores more than twice as much. The problem is, can they make reliable burners under, say, $100?

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]I could see a 1TB disc being a great economical alternative to external hard drives when it comes to backing up my media server. As long as the discs aren't $20.[/citation]

Well a 1TB hard drive is about 60 - 75+ so 20 bucks wouldn't be so bad if the disc was used for only major backups.

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Yes, disks are old and redundant now, but what are they going to sell media on? micro SD? Not likely given the ease of copying contents. Or maybe everything will just go on-line and no more shop fronts for movies etc? I guess rentals will go on-line too. Here in Australia though, broadband and DL limits are too restrictive for SD movies, let alone HD ones.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]Currently $20 buys me one hundred single-layer DVDs, total about 430 GB. I'd be happy to pay $20 or even $40 for a single disk that takes a lot less room and stores more than twice as much. The problem is, can they make reliable burners under, say, $100?[/citation]

That, and will the discs last for a few years? I want to be able to stuff a few of these in a safe a few years, maybe come back to them later on. The higher the capacity, the more I worry about how reliable they are. We already are unsure over DVD-R media, BDRW... how long?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
weird no comments about the disk thickness problem...
Wonder if they can make a single 512MB layer for about $7 to $10
dollars.

And the big questions:

Can we use current BD burners?
How many HD video hours can we fit on this?
Longevity? How long can they last?

Status
Not open for further replies.