TDK Sports 10-Layer, 320 GB Blu-ray Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Are you kidding? People want PHYSICAL storage despite the availability of digital downloads and SSD's. Now wait, is it any wonder that TAPE BACKUPS are still being used? C'mon Toms, I just bought a blu-ray burner SPECIFICALLY with back up in mind.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Great, considering the seek times of current blu-rays it'd take an hour for the drive to find the file you're looking for

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Thats a big fucking disk. The prices of normal blue rays are gonna drop. a lot. And with how much this stores it will probably also slightly drop the price of Hard drives.

G

this is a nice breakthrough for blu-ray now if they can get they disc cost down to a affordable realm i can imagine some effect on the rest of the storage industry.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I thought TDK was no more... Last time I saw TDK was back in the BETAMAX days :| Wow 320 Gb disc... That is a LOT of backed up data to loose if you happend to break/loose the disk! Let's put all our eggs in the same basket :p

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Thinking out loud, but what would be the application for using Blu-Ray and this type of tech in actual hard-drives? Can that actually be done?

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
The price won't be sub $2... it'll be around $10 each, which is cheaper than 320GB hard drive. Only thing is as invlem already mentioned, it might be super slow to read from this gigantic CD. Not to mention it's only one-time write (if they invent rewritable, good luck with that, it'll be 40 hours if burnt at stable (2.4x) speed).

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Very impressive, but likely very slow to read/write a whole disc. Hopefully this will bring the price of regular Blu-ray discs down when it comes out.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Are you kidding? People want PHYSICAL storage despite the availability of digital downloads and SSD's. Now wait, is it any wonder that TAPE BACKUPS are still being used? C'mon Toms, I just bought a blu-ray burner SPECIFICALLY with back up in mind.[/citation]

you bought a bluray drive for backing up? it would have been cheaper to get an external 1TB drive

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]ElectroGoofy[/nom]Wow, that thing is huge! A company could put some crazy high quality video and sound on that thing with spare space left![/citation]

Yeah, that is what she said last night. :)

Just wait until HD content exceeds 1080p in resolution, such as 4k (4000x2000) and 8k (8000x4000). Toshiba is going in that direction. The extra space will be required for that kind of resolution at some point down the road. It's total and utter madness I tell ya! Hehe.

G

If BluRay-R/RW data disc burning is as unreliable as it's DVD predecessor, then it should be even more worthless for backup purposes. External drives are the only viable solution anymore IMHO, CD-R was the last viable optical disk. When CD-R first came out, you could back up your entire HDD on one or two of them, but it's been all downhill for optical disks ever since...

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]It will never see that light of day if they make the media as exensive as just buying a much faster HD of the same size.[/citation]

Well, consider that the initial retail price of a single layer bluray disc from sony was $25-$30 when they first came out. That is what I remember when retailing for at bestbuy back in the day anyways. I would think that it would be at least $50 per disc upon initial introduction. If that was the case, as you say, they will likely never sell and would end up in a niche market due to hard drive prices being so low. I paid $65 for a 640GB hard drive and $95 for a 1TB hard drive. Comparing those figures, it wouldn't make sense to go with a 320gb bluray disc unless you wanted a storage medium that was going to have a long shelf life of 50-100 years, lol. No magnetic based media will ever last that long.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
a one TB drive is one medium - one single object which can be lost broken, stolen, etc. What if you only want to backup your 20GB of music? And then you want to backup all your photos (would take me two disks). Then what if you want to bring the pictures with you but leave the rest? Lightweight, portable, come on, there is always room for both storage technologies.

Now if all you are doing is incremental backups day after day, obviously a HDD is the way to go.

What irritates me is that if you don't want 1TB but only say 200GB, the drive isn't 1/5 the cost, it's like 3/5. (I know it wouldn't be exactly 1/5 because of overhead, component cost, etc.) My need is to backup family digital photo album. I predict it will grow to about 1TB by the time my kid(s) are adults. What do I back that up with that I can trust? I dont want to keep buying a new HDD every 3 years just to be safe, especially since my current boot drive is a 32GB SDD with room to spare after music and apps.

We need RELIABLE long term storage Maybe it's time to start storing less, throwing out more digital photos, movies, etc.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The industrial use of this is awesome!!! Reading through comments and the authors opinion it would seem you have never needed to physically store Tera and Peta bytes of information. A Terabyte hard drive will take up more physical space than a Terabyte of Blu-Ray disks. Besides the fact, 1 terabyte hard drive cost 10 times more than a 10 disk spindle will when these are released. Yes optical disks are a slower media than hard drives, but when you're storing a backlog of customer, user, advertising, etc. data you don't need near instant access. You just need to know it exists and can be accessed.

Little known fact, until recently (2-3 years) many TV stations were still using Beta tapes to record broadcasts because of the longevity and quality compared to digital recordings (DVD & hard drive) and cassette tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.