Teardown Shows PS3 Slim Still a Sony Loser

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I agree... isupply is estimating Sony cost, they could easily be off by more than the stated loss Sony is supposedly taking.

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
If they were losing hundreds on the earlier models, when sales were relatively strong and will be lucky to make tens on later models, they'll never break even. I guess they plan on making a decent profit on the games.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I agree, this is a stab in the dark, an estimated guess. And with every PS3 sold is games sold and with every game sold is $10 - $ 15 in Sony's Pocket without doing anything. So Sony is makeing money from the console and you can doctor your books anyway you like, we know your makeing money.............

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Sony seriously STILL has not made a dime off PS3?
LOL
I like how the PS3 fans are like "zomg its such a powerful machine, PCs cost way more" but the answer really is kinda... costs you, the consumer more but then again your PS3 should retail for like $800 but they hand them out like candy instead.
It is a win for console fans though, they get sick hardware and a media entertainment platform dirt cheap. I can't get in to those controllers... give me a mouse and keyboard instead of 2 thumb-sticks...

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I bought the PS3 when it came out. I think Sony was losing about 300 bucks per machine back in those days. It's an excellent Bluray player but as a gaming machine..? I don't know. I have no idea where the gamepad is. Haven't seen it in ages. Guess I'll find it when I move.

What a golden customer I am :)

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
To come up with a specific dollar amount like that makes me wonder. Even if iSupply gets exact details on what each part "costs" Sony to purchase, they still have to figure in shipping costs, finance charges if Sony uses any sort of credit to buy in bulk, overhead costs (electricity, health insurance, workman's comp insurance, etc etc etc).

So the reality is, that if the "per part" costs are the $336.27 they claim, then they've still off by a bit. Who knows, maybe iSupply had an inside source and was able to get input from someone at Sony who had their "estimated" prices as to what something "costs" them including overhead breakdown and such.

Either way, I still think the PS3 and XBOX360 are more expensive than what I as a consumer think they are worth. Which is why I haven't purchased either one. It's all about perception though. Many console gamers would say my gaming PC isn't worth it either. So it's all in how you look at it.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I'll agree with the above posts. I call bs on this cause none of us can expect us to believe that isuply knows costs to Sony for any of the pieces of hardware in the PS3. Specially when a Sony dude over the past months stated that Sony's PS3 hardware cost had dropped already by a 70%+. In order for that to be valid alongside this article then Sony was loosing more than just a coulpe of 100s $per console before the Slim release.

Anyhow, today or yesterday they mentioned from Sony again about subs on PSN. And actually worst than the simple subs of their competitor's XBL model. I read it earlier in the morning at another site ( for me its night here now.. ). Ofc that will bring them in some big bucks but changing so much their online model will kill their online community which is already lacking from their competitor's so I dont know what they are doing yet. We shall see.

counselmancl

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Omg, the PS3 is such a powerful machine. The cell processor has changed my life. My eyesight has improved, I get better grades in school (I'm not even enrolled), my dogs love me more and I have better luck with the ladies.

Thank you Sony!!!

P.S. It can control the weather too. FREAKING AWSOME!

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
"When it launched in late 2006, Sony was losing hundreds of dollars on each console sold"

Hundreds of dollars? Really. It costed almost $500 and it still was losing hundreds of dollars? What, it costed them $700 to make a PS3 (gen1)? I don't believe it.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]"When it launched in late 2006, Sony was losing hundreds of dollars on each console sold"Hundreds of dollars? Really. It costed almost $500 and it still was losing hundreds of dollars? What, it costed them $700 to make a PS3 (gen1)? I don't believe it.[/citation]

Believe it

[citation]The PlayStation 3's initial production cost is estimated to have been US$805.85 for the 20 GB model and US$840.35 for the 60 GB model.[204] However, they were priced at US$499 and US$599 respectively,[205] meaning that every unit was sold at an estimated loss of $250,[204] contributing to Sony's games division posting an operating loss of ¥232.3 billion (US$1.97 billion) in the fiscal year ending March 2007[/citation]

Source: Wikipedia

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I plan on buying my first PS anything, sadly not for the gaming (visiting friends and family will enjoy it) but as a BD media console, with its ability to play just about every format, avi's, mp3's, etc, wifi, 5.1 audio, usb and HDMI, what more is there to say :)

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]o0RaidR0o[/nom]I plan on buying my first PS anything, sadly not for the gaming (visiting friends and family will enjoy it) but as a BD media console, with its ability to play just about every format, avi's, mp3's, etc, wifi, 5.1 audio, usb and HDMI, what more is there to say[/citation]

Or you can buy a brand new Sony Blu-Ray player from Costco for $134.99

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11480950&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|87120&N=4040224&Mo=3&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=87120&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C

Only reason to spend $300 on a PS3 Slim is if you want Blu-Ray & Games. If you could care less about games, just buy a Blu-Ray player. They are getting cheap now.

G

They havent lost a dime on it.

Just winning the blue ray hd war was enough to make up the loss many many many times over.

As a game system who cares, but as the single reason they won the blueray vs hddvd war...its a complete and utter winner.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
What makes me laugh is that they see the sale price of $299, and think that Sony sells it for $299.

Sony sells it for probably around $249, to the retailers, so don't forget to add that cost back in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.