Technically challenged.. and taken advantage of....

danac6413

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
I dropped my Acer Aspire one netbook, and it gave me the error of no hard drive found. I had a "friend" work on it and he returned it to me and said, "all you have to do is call the number there to activate it." I called and they said windows xp was not supported. I am guessing he replaced the entire hard drive with something I cannot use?? I am not very bright as far as computers, obviously. So, please help me. You will have to do so in very remedial terms... Please......

danac6413

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

@colgeek: my "so called 'friend', replaced the hard drive with XP, I guess. (I'm very technically challenged). When I turn it on, it says I need to activate the version before I can proceed. I called the number and they said they couldn't do anything further since its no longer supported.

Sounds like a not-proper XP, as already mentioned, it cannot be used, and since you don't seems to be comfortable following up with this "friend" again, your next choice to is pay somebody to fix this for you, like the Geek Squads.

Here, we are good enough to un-stuck you. You need the whole support package from a-z.

Does your laptop have a license key sticker on it? If it does, see what version of Windows it's for, any other version you will need to buy a new license for.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i have one of the acer aspire one netbooks from a few years ago and it came with win 7 starter edition. it is a stripped down version of windows that you can't actually get a copy of as it was never sold retail. i had to get an all in one dvd of win 7 and then do a hack of it to enable it to allow me to install win 7 starter on it. was a pain in the arse......

find the windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop and it will tell you what version of windows it should have on it. then we can point you in the direction of where to download a copy of it and where to go from there :)

another option is to post exactly what model number it is as they did not make them for long. we can track down some info this wat as well. for instance my aspire one is a d270-1865. it's on the label below the keyboard,