Teenager Injured By Exploding iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
I agree i'd sue too to try to get somthing for my injuries. this isn't somthing like sueing the state for falling down a manhole while you were texting and walking at the same time. and besides its not like you can change the battery because the Iphone doesn't allow you too

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
The question is what is the expectation of suitable customer use? These "explosions" have all been the result of overheating or impact that has caused the battery to rupture and go into thermal runaway leading to vaporization. Any lithium based battery has the potential to do this, so why not sue the lithium battery manufacturers or call for all lithium batteries to be recalled?

Simple, because we LOVE lithium batteries! Responsible owners take care of their devices and as such, they avert disaster. Should there be plenty of warnings on Lithium devices? You bet! Should there be safety mechanisms internal to the device? You bet! Should we let people sue just because they found a new, interesting way to cause their device to fail? That's the question here.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]LoL, let the iPhone haters comments commence...[/citation]

Obviously there's no need to bash Apple. They do a good enough job on their own.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]LoL, let the iPhone haters comments commence...[/citation]
I think you underestimate us. We hate all of Apple, not just there iTickingTimeBomb.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Actually customers shouldn't buy Apple thing...
Finally someone get hurt! Not the hard hopefully!

"You're so HOT with your IPod"... but someday he'll explode in your face!

So called "Quality" product tagged with an Apple is a time bomb.

I can just recommend people to doesn't buy Apple anymore.
Please everyone, Apple is greed anyway.

winglerw28

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I find the fact that Apple tried to silence the one family very, very shady. If I knew about the other incident and that Apple used money to keep it silent, I'd sue them so hard.

I don't hate Apple, and even I smell some fishy business going on here. Hiding a dangerous facet of their device not only is immoral, but if found out, can cause a huge loss in user trust/userbase.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008

Will you still say that when your iPhone explodes, assuming it doesn't blow off your face leaving you unable to talk of course.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I probably hate Apple more than anyone. But I can still smell sensationalized bull shit when I read it. I think as this idea of exploding iPods becomes more popular, you will start to see many more "news" stories comming out.

nukemaster

Distinguished
As said, it is LI-Ion batteries, But is there a way they could have packed it better to make this issue not happen?

I mean, my laptop never blew up even with lots of heat. My Zen has been through allot, no boom. You have to wonder if some corners where cut to make the machine thinner or more powerful without thinking of heat and battery protection.

Is there anyone one has NEVER dropped a phone/mp3 player ect? accidents happen and should not cause it to blow up.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I agree with back_by_demand - the ipod and iphone are by definition of their purpose mobile devices - designed to be portable, with that comes a reasonable expectation that they may be dropped, knocked etc, and while i wouldn't expect apple to make the device indestructable , it is reasonable to expect volatile chemicals contained within the device to be safely contained when the device is used normally or even misused within the context of extreme wear and tear....

stray_gator

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
First UK, now France.
I'll bet the problem is with 220V chargers.

Shame on you, Europe, for maintaining a power grid not iCompatible!

stray_gator

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
First UK, now France.
I'll bet the problem is with 220V chargers.

Shame on you, Europe, for maintaining a power grid not iCompatible!

Status
Not open for further replies.