Teenager's Summly News App Dominates App Store Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I do something similar with Tom's Hardware. I just read the headlines, and if it has anything to do with smart phones, or Apple, I skip it.
As you can imagine, I don't read much on Tom's nowadays.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I do something similar with Tom's Hardware. I read every article hoping that they will get better content or at least have proper editing, but they don't.

As you can imagine, I read too much Tom's nowadays.

G

He's made the iphone look like a Windows 8 phone :)...iphones must not have such a summerising function built in, but to invest 1 million in such an app...some people have too much money and not enough sense...

[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]My phones has something like that since day one. I don't understand what this fuzz is all about.[/citation]The fuss is apparently that some big names in the media industry are backing it. The media industry has been unhappy about consolidators like Google News summarizing their stories in exchange for sending traffic their way. For some reason they believe that others should send traffic their way, and pay them for it.

So now they've helped fund a startup which does exactly that for mobile devices. And they're using their influence to push stories about what sounds like an otherwise unremarkable app in order to make it popular. They probably have the long-term hope that if this is successful, they can threaten to cut off other news summary services to coerce them into paying. (Not saying this idea makes any sense; just saying that's probably what they're thinking.)

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
The free app utilizes algorithms to process news stories into summaries

IE it takes the title of articles and displays them together. How in the world did he get $1M worth of backing for this??

And for a Teenager supposedly developing it I see a lot of "We"s in his dev process.

Status
Not open for further replies.