Teens Will Hate Driving with Ford's MyKey

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenlead

Distinguished
I don't think this will reduce accidents at all. Most cars I get into already ring if the driver's belt isn't buckled. Some cars have a speed cap built into the ECU that force them to stop accelerating at a certain speed.

They say 5k teens die from car crashes each year, but they don't say how many of the 5k die because of reasons that this key can prevent. My guess is it's not that high. This key can't prevent a stupid decision or a silly stunt.

I'm all for the speaker thing, though. I get into my friends cars all the time, and they immediately turn up the radio all the way. They think it's cool, but working for a sound productions company teaches you better. The sound that comes out of a maxed out radio (most, at least) is nothing but garble. It gets even better when they max out the bass, and you hear this horrid braahhhmm every time the speaker beats. It just sounds terrible, I don't know why people do it.

G

MyKey is great tech. I can't see a situation where it would not be useful. But, what would be even better situation to help your teen learn to drive responsibly is to make him/her pay for his/her vehicle with their own money earned through a real part time job and summer jobs. Also, to insure their auto under their own name, and pay for all repairs necessary to keep their vehicle on the road. Perhaps then the teen may learn the value of money, the responsibility in having a job and monthly bill to pay, and finally the reward of knowing that with hard work he/her can achieve and succeed. Who knows, maybe he/she will also learn a desirable skill: how to troubleshoot and repair your automobile. I know I did.

G

Good heavens NO! Just make it harder for teenagers - indeed, harder for everyone - to attain a license. I hate to see more reinforcement of the message that speed kills.

G

This is a last-ditch effort for Ford to sell some cars. Safety doesn't start with the car, safety starts with good education. And 80 mph is faster than highway speed anyway, more than enough to kill someone if there is an accident.

noobe1981

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Honestly I see nothing wrong with this. Will to a point. Speed limit well its not gonna do much anyways. Doing 80 in a 45..well you get the point. The buckle alarm absolutely is a good thing. Sorry, but until they turn 18 it is up to the parents wither they want to go this route or not. The music.. Eh again same with the speed limit really isn't gonna do much with all the music devices around. They just won't be able to go blaring down the streets.

Also some of these state driving courses are just a straight up joke. I'm orginaly from IN then moved to GA and how to get my driving license renewed, and since I lost it I also had to take both writing, and driving. The test was a joke compared to IN, and the driving was in a course. Ya, that can tell a whole lot about how a person is gonna drive with other traffic.. /sarcasm off

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
LOL... Im 27 and rarely hit EIGHTY miles an hour. Jesus Christ. I love to speed too, just dont have any damn reason to go that fast. This car wouldn't bother me one bit! Mom, can I borrow your car? Atleast I know I wont damage the engine! Kids are plain and simply ridiculous. They have no respect for their parents or the concern they display. You can blame the parents for falling prey to the stupid rules enforced by law. If my kid gave me a nasty attitude because I wouldn't give him my key to drive the car fast then 80mph, I would consider kicking his ass out or sending him to a military school.

G

i heard that on radio when i was driving to school :] guess what? ford sucks donkey balls. i would never drive ford, i have 2004 vw jetta with couple tweaks :p and yes i drive faster so i dont get late to school kekekekekeke

Tekkamanraiden

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
I give it a week after it comes out before someone figures out a way to defeat it. Teens today aren't stupid, they're just dumb (unwise).

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I don't think it will lock parents into chauffeuring their kids around. If the kids won't accept that car, then they can't get to where they want to go. I'm sure if given the choice of a car that can't go 80 and walking, then they'd pick the car.

G

WOW! Ford is certainly on the right track to help their sales. Teach the new generations to hate their cars even before they're old enough to buy! Great thinking. Keep those roads safe and your sales down. If only they put that much effort into making their cars a little more reliable and a little more energy efficient.

crystal_tech

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
hmm but what if your on the highway and you get pinned in by semi's or other roadsters and you can't speed up to avoid a wreak due to the limit and then you crash. i forsee many problems

G

you have to be completely blind not to see what they are doing here.....!!!

1st... they are completely teaching the teen the wrong lesson here!!...the lesson that you are "provided a car by your parents", not getting off your ass and learning responsibility and earning your own car. along side this, they are teaching the Teen that they are being maticulously controlled while they are driving... wow, so its okay to take a humans freedoms because otherwise they may be more likely to crash daddy's cr***y ford focus anyway....

2nd... wake the hell up!!! they implement parents monitoring their childrens driving... okay.... the next step will be the government monitoring the parents driving. so wake up and refuse this BS technology, coz one day your a$$ is the one getting fried.

PEACE!

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
still single, but when i have kids i will like that kind of control. although, i probably like the chimes disabled, it can be annoying.
audio volume control is welcome, avoids noise in neighborhood and driver have more focus on driving.
lastly, i think the speed cap is senseless.
a safety a feature should be a engine rev limiter than can be adjusted. safer and also VERY ECONOMIC. if my son/daughter doesnt like it, then don't drive my car.

G

So ... is author Kevin Parrish in any way related to friend of the headless drunk, Michael Parrish?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Zodiac, THANK YOU. If you dont like my car, DONT F*&KING DRIVE IT. Someone else had mentioned driving their own vehicle.

People, this is to prevent your dumb ass kid from ROMPING on your car and destroying it. I have seen it done 10' of 100's of times. Your not FOOLING anyone by ranting and raving and "swearing" you wouldn't do that. Screw off! Kids are SHADY. I was..... SHADY. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.