Question Television speakers out

Spence808

Great
May 1, 2024
I've got an older television that I love, it still works great, all except the speakers. It's an LG 43LH5000 and the speakers went out years ago. Since then, I've just been using my soundbar for the sound. I purchased the original equipment speakers and was just wondering if it's hard to replace them. I got a quote from a tv repairman to do the job and he wanted over $225.
I checked with the LG techs online to try and diagnose why my speakers went out in the first place and every screen they were telling me to go and make sure the speaker output was set to tv output, did not exist on my tv. And there is no repair manual for the tv, and the owner's manual has no mention of it, not even in the "Troubleshooting" section. Now, I know my tv is old, but since I can't afford to buy a new one and I already have the parts to do the job, I'd like to try if possible.

So, my questions are:
1. Do internal tv speakers usually go out?
2. Is there something I'm missing to check on the output audio setting of my tv?
3. I'm a fairly handy guy around the house, is this something I can tackle, or should I leave it up to the pro and pay his $$$? (Any YouTube video or something I can watch to guide me thru it)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Aloha.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I've got an older television that I love, it still works great, all except the speakers. It's an LG 43LH5000 and the speakers went out years ago. Since then, I've just been using my soundbar for the sound. I purchased the original equipment speakers and was just wondering if it's hard to replace them. I got a quote from a tv repairman to do the job and he wanted over $225.
I checked with the LG techs online to try and diagnose why my speakers went out in the first place and every screen they were telling me to go and make sure the speaker output was set to tv output, did not exist on my tv. And there is no repair manual for the tv, and the owner's manual has no mention of it, not even in the "Troubleshooting" section. Now, I know my tv is old, but since I can't afford to buy a new one and I already have the parts to do the job, I'd like to try if possible.

So, my questions are:
1. Do internal tv speakers usually go out?
2. Is there something I'm missing to check on the output audio setting of my tv?
3. I'm a fairly handy guy around the house, is this something I can tackle, or should I leave it up to the pro and pay his $$$? (Any YouTube video or something I can watch to guide me thru it)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Aloha.
1. No, but it can happen.
2. I'm sure your menu has an audio section where you can change outputs. Have you looked through this: https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-tv-has-no-audio--1434730408184
3. It may not be the speakers at all, but what the speakers attach to.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Upload pictures to a site like imgur.com and then post a link here.

I understand what you are saying. I looked at the manual and spec sheet.

Looks like this model only has its internal speakers with no options (like optical) documented. Is that correct?

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes that is correct.
Settings video
Settings picture
I hope I did this right.
You did it right.

Swapping the speakers themselves should be fairly straight-forward. The only concern (as stated earlier) is that it may not physically be the speakers at all, but whatever they attach to (controller board of some sort).

When they went out, was it a sudden thing or a gradual degradation until they just didn't work?

Spence808

Great
May 1, 2024
You did it right.

Swapping the speakers themselves should be fairly straight-forward. The only concern (as stated earlier) is that it may not physically be the speakers at all, but whatever they attach to (controller board of some sort).

When they went out, was it a sudden thing or a gradual degradation until they just didn't work?
It was sudden if I remember correctly. It was so long ago.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Now you have me scratching my head. Any idea on what it could be? :unsure:
TVs are a lot like laptop PCs/tablets. There will be some sort of system board (called a motherboard typically in PCs. That system board is the brains of the TV and controls how it operates. That part of the system board could be defective.

What I don't know it whether you would only have to swap a single system board or a component plugged into the main board.

Do you have a picture or link to the speakers you purchased?