Tested: 3 Headphones, Better Than Buds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Reputable headphone manufacturers provide a frequency response graph, as well as specify impedance, sensitivity and power handling capacity.

Very poor review, given the lack of specs provided.

G

VERY VERY poor review.
Complete lack of specs (not that they often mean much), no real discussion of sound quality and you believe leaking headphones are bad?
I'm sorry, I don't expect a "golden-eared" review in the style of head-fi for 30 buck headphones, but please Kate Gammon, get a clue by doing some reading (start at "open" vs "closed" style headphones) and experiencing a few more headphones.
An iPod, 3 sets of headphones and a decibel meter, a headphone reviewer they make not.

G

what? no sennheiser px100 or even the cheapo-but-great hd201? koss porta pro?
for under $60, these are the bang for buck.

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
[citation][nom]audiophilewannabe[/nom]what? no sennheiser px100 or even the cheapo-but-great hd201? koss porta pro? for under $60, these are the bang for buck.[/citation]

actually the px100 fit within the price range of the review even though they dont necessarily match the style.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]Reputable headphone manufacturers provide a frequency response graph, as well as specify impedance, sensitivity and power handling capacity.Very poor review, given the lack of specs provided.[/citation]
Please provide a link to a frequency response graph for a

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I love that Tom's Guide has a few audiophile readers. But honestly--what info would you really want to know if you were in the market for a set of headphones designed to replace earbuds, be comfortable, and cheap? If those were your top priorities, would you really want to know about impedence and power handling? Maybe you would. I, personally, wouldn't. I would want to know about: comfort, durability, and sound quality of the kind one might experience at the gym, on the bus, etc. However, I am glad to know that there are some of you out there who are hungry for true audiophile level headphone reviews. I will consider whether that type of article belongs on Tom's Guide.

Thanks,
Rachel Rosmarin
Editor, Tom's Guide

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]Please provide a link to a frequency response graph for a[/citation]
"please provide a link to a frequency response graph for a cheaper than $60 pair of headphones"

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Noobody_57[/nom]VERY VERY poor review.Complete lack of specs (not that they often mean much), no real discussion of sound quality and you believe leaking headphones are bad? I'm sorry, I don't expect a "golden-eared" review in the style of head-fi for 30 buck headphones, but please Kate Gammon, get a clue by doing some reading (start at "open" vs "closed" style headphones) and experiencing a few more headphones.An iPod, 3 sets of headphones and a decibel meter, a headphone reviewer they make not.[/citation]
Leaking headphones are bad if you're using them in public. No question about it. If your sole purpose of listening to music on headphones is for accurate monitoring, then you DO NOT WANT THESE HEADPHONES. That much should be obvious.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jp182[/nom]actually the px100 fit within the price range of the review even though they dont necessarily match the style.[/citation]
For those of you who listed other headphones you'd have liked to see reviewed--great! But, you should know that when we do review roundups we try to limit the products included to those that are brand new to the market, as the 3 headsets in this roundup are. The others you mentioned have been on the market a while. However, you make a good point that it is often useful to include a comparison to an established successful product--that's a viable reviewing style as well. Point taken,

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]"please provide a link to a frequency response graph for a cheaper than $60 pair of headphones"[/citation]
As I said in my earlier post, it's the manufacturer, not the price, that makes the difference - the frequency response graphs will usually be shown on the spec sheets or printed on the packaging. Also, shopping for headphones doesn't always mean that you get to actually listen to them before you buy, therefore you DO need to look at the specs to know what it is you're getting, and be able to make a performance comparison.

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
My beef with computer headsets is most of them use plastic tops instead of spring steel which means they are bulky in a notebook case and break easily. I use a headset with a notebook for listening and for speech recognition so I'm looking for a stereo headset with a spring steel top, a mic adequate for speech recognition and all of that small enough to put in the front pocket of a notebook case. That's not so easy to find.

Known2Bone

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
sound isolating ear buds are best for commuting and physical activity. they also offer the best bang for the buck a this price point. why is it you tested none? do people research such poor quality audio equipment?

smendlovitz

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
DEAR TOM... AND ALL...
EARBUDS ARE SAFER FOR TRAVELING ON THE BUS... ETC... DO NOT BLOCK OUT ALL THE OUTSIDE SOUND OF CARS ETC...
BEST WISHES...
GERSHON...

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Known2Bone[/nom]sound isolating ear buds are best for commuting and physical activity. they also offer the best bang for the buck a this price point. why is it you tested none? do people research such poor quality audio equipment?[/citation]
A lot of people don't like earbuds--they say they are uncomfortable and hurt the ear canal--especially cheap ones. SO, we looked at an alternative: cheap over-the-ears. That's why we tested none (earbuds) for this little roundup.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]smendlovitz[/nom]DEAR TOM... AND ALL... EARBUDS ARE SAFER FOR TRAVELING ON THE BUS... ETC... DO NOT BLOCK OUT ALL THE OUTSIDE SOUND OF CARS ETC... BEST WISHES... GERSHON...[/citation]
Earbuds are safer than what? These Over-the-ears don't block out noise from the outside world. Noise canceling earphones of any kind should not be used while walking or riding a bike--bad idea! Luckily, we didn't review any actual noise canceling headphones in this review. If we had, we would make sure to caution against doing dangerous activities like that while wearing them.

Known2Bone

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Pffft!*sound i made* yeah they have poor audio quality and are uncomfortable.... if their ipod(fuck apple). Pure comfort and best headphone sound quality will always be from around ear cans(duhhh).But what class is more portable, what about stylish, what do you think will stay in your ears while your on the treadmill? $60 buds or $60 cans.... If so many people dislike ear buds so, why is it thats all i see people wear in public... i much prefer cans to in ear anything but if im on the go, good in ear buds are much more practical

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Known2Bone[/nom]Pffft!*sound i made* yeah they have poor audio quality and are uncomfortable.... if their ipod(fuck apple). Pure comfort and best headphone sound quality will always be from around ear cans(duhhh).But what class is more portable, what about stylish, what do you think will stay in your ears while your on the treadmill? $60 buds or $60 cans.... If so many people dislike ear buds so, why is it thats all i see people wear in public... i much prefer cans to in ear anything but if im on the go, good in ear buds are much more practical[/citation]
Of course, earbuds are much more popular than cheap over-the-ears. You'll find no argument from me. If what you're saying is that you'd like to see a review of mid-range earbuds, we can consider that. However, please don't dismiss the people out there that don't like ear buds. They have every right to buy slightly-less-practical cheap over-the-ears, and the manufacturers in this review are trying to pursue that niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.