Texting While Driving Increases Danger 23 Fold

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Thanks for the tip, DUH!!! Some people are so stupid on the road... Where the hell did they get their licences, Gran Tourismo? And even then, You can't text and play that game at the same time...

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Is that with or without a qwerty pad? I bet a non-qwerty phone like mine would be even worse, fighting with that evil T9 recognition.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Ill admit I used was one of these idiots at one point. I first started texting and didn't even think about it while driving. Stopped the first time I looked up and found myself half way off the side of the road.

Wierd thing is i have always refused to talk on the phone while driving. hehehe

G

OR people could turn of the fucking phone while driving. Believe it or not, the world won't end if your BFF can't reach you the next 15 minutes.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Texting while driving should be a mistermeaner. I'm not even joking. I'd put it up there with DUI's. If you have that much blantant regard for others safety, let alone your own, you have no business behind the wheel.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]blarneypete[/nom]I heard that texting while walking is dangerous too.[/citation]
oh yea; walked into a man hole lol !

G

Here is the UK its already illegal to even HOLD a phone while driving. Never mind call someone, or god forbid TEXT someone!

What is not said during the report on VTTI's findings:
"These numbers are useless since the danger factor is situational"

What I mean by that is a phonecall/text in an area without any traffic might score a 1.5 but a phonecall/text in a city might score a 25.0. If they averaged more city drivers in then country drivers it will raise the number substantially.

Do I call while driving? speakerphone only. Do I text? Only if it is important and there is no traffic on the roads. Do I reach for objects? All of the time, but again it is completely situational. Maintain (propper) following distances and use good judgement.

Also: there is no way that cell phone use could be banned while in cars. This would be just as huge as trying to stop all the internet pirates. We see how well that works. Also keep in mind Speakerphone, Handsfree, Voice dialing, and systems built into many new cars.

We would all be better off having the safety issues discussed in drivers education classes & on drivers permit/license tests. What people need to learn is when, where, and how much they can be distracted without major risk. Trust me, distractions happen. It's better to educate about the topic then to enact a ban which would have little effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.