The 4 Major Issues Plaguing the iPhone 4 Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I own an android phone, and the only thing I can say is that the 3gs iPhone has a really decent camera compared to most. The mpix is not hat great but thecolor rendering is nice.

Everything else on the iphones is pretty much par for the course as far as smartphone hardware goes, and in most cases far inferior.

But hey, they make a great cam!

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
From what I've seen, the iphone4 camera is pretty good but they also use some massive image processing. Including what seems to be some obvious edge enhancing, denoising and possibly even red push. A shame but perhaps that's how they're getting the results they are (and this processing is probably causing current issues as well).

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
The lack of standard connectivity for a flagship phone, meaning microUSB, microHDMI and SDHC, is at least as bad as any of these issues though I suppose it's an iOS platform "feature" rather than a drawback at this point.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Even more reason not to upgrade my 3gs to a 4. I'm going with the 5 inch screen Dell Streak at the end of the month. It's been fun apple but no thanks![/citation]
I am looking at the Streak also, my only concerns is it is running Android 1.6. I hope they update it before release.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Non-user-replaceable battery is another deal breaker. Lack of central policy management is another thing that makes this a "toy," whereas a Blackberry is a "tool," for business.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I've only experienced the antenna problem out of all of those. I put a bumper on (I was planning on getting one anyway) and it hasn't been a problem since. In fact, I get noticeably better reception with my iPhone 4 than with my previous iPhones. It really is a great phone in my opinion, the screen is simply amazing. The biggest winner, of course, is the app store. There's no way I'd ever migrate to Android and give up all of my apps.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I usually let the camera choose white balance preset but it usually came up bad. If you want good indoor white, use custom white balance.

BTW, the images are shot "in warm, indoor lighting without the flash" so it looks like 3GS and 4 got the closest color. Without looking at the scene in person, there is no way to tell which is correct but the 5D looks too cold.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Seriously, who the hell holds the phone like that when talking?[/citation]

Well I do for one. How do you hold your phone?

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]I've only experienced the antenna problem out of all of those. I put a bumper on (I was planning on getting one anyway) and it hasn't been a problem since. In fact, I get noticeably better reception with my iPhone 4 than with my previous iPhones. It really is a great phone in my opinion, the screen is simply amazing. The biggest winner, of course, is the app store. There's no way I'd ever migrate to Android and give up all of my apps.[/citation]

Really, I have most of the same apps on my android that you have on your iphone, and they were cheaper.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Well I do for one. How do you hold your phone?[/citation]
I hold my phones like the video, I don't really see how else to hold one that will not be uncomfortable really.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]So you're saying you are holding your phone with your palm touching the backside and all fingers reaching onto the touch screen? I find it pretty tiring and I can't get it close to my ear like that. Are you afraid of someone stealing it from your hand?I only hold it with the tips of my fingers, three of them on the far side, the thumb on the other side and the pinky below.[/citation]
I hold my phone the same as you described but that also causes the reception problem. Any time you make contact with both the bottom and the left side of the phone it decreases the reception. It doesn't have to be the grip they showed. I hold my phone similar to the way in the video if I have someone on speaker phone though.

Status
Not open for further replies.