The Ac power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

connz24

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
why this message occurred "The Ac power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. the battery may not charge.the system will adjust the performance to match the power available" ?
and how do I fix it?
I'm using dell inspiron 15 5559

thanks

Solution

Then that is where your problem lies as the replacement charger will not have the identifying chip.
Unfortunately you will need to purchase the correct Dell charger for your laptop.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I've heard the following works but not tried it myself, please follow below steps ;
Do not try the following while connected to mains wall socket.
1. Plug off the power cable of ac adapter,
3. Plug the a adapter to pc and power on normally..

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Are you using the adaptor that came with the laptop ?
Some dell machines use chargers with identifying chips to identify the charger to the laptop and if the charger does not have that chip then you get that error message.
There is always this if you want to give it a try
http://

makkem

Distinguished

Then that is where your problem lies as the replacement charger will not have the identifying chip.
Unfortunately you will need to purchase the correct Dell charger for your laptop.

Solution

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015

The plug that you plug into you laptop has a inner section and outer section separated by a insulation. The center is usually the + that would then make the outside the minus. By connecting a metal paperclip across the two you can discharge the power brick there maybe a small amount of charge affecting a clean boot up.
I've attached a link to a video displaying a a/c adapter being discharged with a multi meter for anyone else reading this do not allow leads of a multi meter to touch as stated in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqx30L6YPPc
If you're using the replacement not original charger then maybe this is the initial problem

Hi @ Im Spartacus, this is the stupidest thing that I know from you, shorting the output of an adapter to boot up a laptop.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Your quite right and discharging a desktop power supply i would never recommend they have much bigger caps more care needs to be taken it could kill you. However I wouldn't want anyone to do anything I wouldn't try myself so I just did using a paperclip on my own 19v 4.7amp A/C adaptor powered my laptop back up on mains only no battery attached and it still works and I'm not dead. But your quite right not everyone is mad like me and not all laptop supplies are the same the one in this is posting only 14volts so for all those reading this message don't try this at home. Jarotech is right as it may shock you.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
From earlier posting above
I've heard the following works but not tried it myself, please follow below steps ;
Do not try the following while connected to mains wall socket.
1. Plug off the power cable of ac adapter,
2. Discharge the output of the ac adapter using a paperclip wire etc... (Connect a paperclip to pins +/- at the same moment...)
3. Plug the a adapter to pc and power on normally..
As is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqx30L6YPPc.
The shorting of pins apparently fixed an issue like the one in this post, I did state I had not done this myself so not hiding anything there my guess if it worked and is true what is the harm in trying it who am I to say it is untrue or anyone else, Fact from the video you can clearly see the adaptor is discharging a charge across a coming from the capacitor inside this could affect a dell booting I'm sure it was a dell that had this problem when I made my suggestion. So stupid or not I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I'm off to bed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.