The best audiophile headphones in 2022

Mar 6, 2022
No mention of Bluetooth specs. Makes me wonder. I have an aptx hd source. Obviously, aptx hd headphone will have the highest quality signal. It seems matching Bluetooth codecs is critical for audiophiles. Makes me wonder about the testing also - were the devices tested with compatible hd codecs? Ldac for example doesn't work with most non Sony devices so the signal will downgrade to the lowest common codec.

Mar 7, 2022
There appears to be a serious need here to do solid research about headphones.
Go to headphones.com and learn about the various parts and functions of, and what makes truly good audiophile headphones. If you just want headphones for background music you don't necessarily want to pay attention to, get Sony or Beats or any highly commercialized gear, but if you want music to surround you as in a concert hall, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH and buy really good headphones. You can't do it without knowing what's out there at the very high end. For example, Focal headphones made in France. Heard of em, Tom'Guide?

Reactions: TheSypher
Mar 7, 2022
Article is kind of joke. Sony, Bose and even sennheiser as audiophile headphones is like Hyundai as a sportcar. Seriously they are not about sound quality, they are about marketing, it's a shame that they got you.
AND audiophile headphones, and all of them are wireless? Kidding? Looks like you trying to choose something not very disgusting from the catalog of a small electronics store on your street lol.

Fiio, Meze, Focal, Campfire Audio, iBasso, Audeze, Dunu, Hifiman, Audio Technica, Astell&Kern etc. That the list of brand you need to know, not poor things for background music listed in article.

Head/earphones with ANC nearly always have not something like really good music quality. Make a true research.

Peace

Mar 7, 2022
Article is kind of joke. Sony, Bose and even sennheiser as audiophile headphones is like Hyundai as a sportcar. Seriously they are not about sound quality, they are about marketing, it's a shame that they got you.
AND audiophile headphones, and all of them are wireless? Kidding? Looks like you trying to choose something not very disgusting from the catalog of a small electronics store on your street lol.

Fiio, Meze, Focal, Campfire Audio, iBasso, Audeze, Dunu, Hifiman, Audio Technica, Astell&Kern etc. That the list of brand you need to know, not poor things for background music listed in article.

Head/earphones with ANC nearly always have not something like really good music quality. Make a true research.

Peace
I have Focal Clear, discovered on headphones.com. Well aware of the marketing going on here. But you'll never see Focal reviewed here which is sad.

sonicmustard

Commendable
Mar 9, 2022
There appears to be a serious need here to do solid research about headphones.
Go to headphones.com and learn about the various parts and functions of, and what makes truly good audiophile headphones. If you just want headphones for background music you don't necessarily want to pay attention to, get Sony or Beats or any highly commercialized gear, but if you want music to surround you as in a concert hall, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH and buy really good headphones. You can't do it without knowing what's out there at the very high end. For example, Focal headphones made in France. Heard of em, Tom'Guide?

We reviewed the Focal Clear headphones a while ago. We're in the process of updating our audio guides and looking to include a wider range of headphone models to include a broader range of brands and that fit with audiophile sensibilities, including wired models. Look out for our regular headphone updates in the coming weeks.

sonicmustard

Commendable
Mar 9, 2022
No mention of Bluetooth specs. Makes me wonder. I have an aptx hd source. Obviously, aptx hd headphone will have the highest quality signal. It seems matching Bluetooth codecs is critical for audiophiles. Makes me wonder about the testing also - were the devices tested with compatible hd codecs? Ldac for example doesn't work with most non Sony devices so the signal will downgrade to the lowest common codec.

We're looking to bring greater transparency to our guides to help buyers make informed buying choices. In the meantime, you should be able to find further information in the review itself by clicking on the model name link at the beginning of each or the 'full review' link at the end of each review.

We test wireless headphones and earbuds using the highest bit rate and resolution streams available from services such as Apple Music and TIDAL as well as popular services such as Spotify.

Jul 15, 2022
I had the Sony WH-1000XM4 and their audio was alright at best, and although it is pretty good, there are definitely better choices, and it does NOT deserve to be on a top headphones for audiophile list! Please do not buy the Sony's, as they are very mediocre in terms of sound quality.