The best looking 4K Blu-ray I’ve ever seen is definitely not the movie you’re expecting

Jan 16, 2024
You lost me when you started talking about film grain being noise. Film grain literally IS the picture for movies shot on film (like the original Jurassic World). You never want to get rid of that.

Reactions: Darian Starfrog

RobFisher11

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
You lost me when you started talking about film grain being noise. Film grain literally IS the picture for movies shot on film (like the original Jurassic World). You never want to get rid of that.
I was thinking the same thing. If it was shot on film, you should see grain unless it was removed somehow, which smoothing process has deleterious and often unpleasant-looking effects.

I like the way film looks. I can understand people preferring a clean, digital image (I like this, too), but it's not worth the cost to fake it.

It's also possible the author has mistaken some other unpleasant artefact for film grain.

Jan 16, 2024
I was thinking the same thing. If it was shot on film, you should see grain unless it was removed somehow, which smoothing process has deleterious and often unpleasant-looking effects.

I like the way film looks. I can understand people preferring a clean, digital image (I like this, too), but it's not worth the cost to fake it.

It's also possible the author has mistaken some other unpleasant artefact for film grain.
Definitely possible that he was seeing something else. The Jurassic World 4K isn't overly grain heavy (it was pulled from a 2.4K DI). Grain is definitely visible but very soft due to the limited resolution of the DI -- I could see the overly aggressive compression of streaming making that grain invisible. A rescan would do wonders, actually. The 4K is barely an upgrade from the standard Blu-ray. It looks dated already.

Apr 14, 2023
You loose all atmosphere with 4K, I much prefer the old vhs tbh, unless it's Sci fi, then it makes sense.. the grainy texture makes everything feel alive, like even the shadows could come alive.. best example is Texas Chainsaw Massacre, when they gave that the Blu ray treatment, it's lost all its grit, it's gloomy atmosphere, 4k just makes movies look like sets, like a theatre play..I'm not here for that..it's not called movie magic for nothing..

Jan 16, 2024
You loose all atmosphere with 4K, I much prefer the old vhs tbh, unless it's Sci fi, then it makes sense.. the grainy texture makes everything feel alive, like even the shadows could come alive.. best example is Texas Chainsaw Massacre, when they gave that the Blu ray treatment, it's lost all its grit, it's gloomy atmosphere, 4k just makes movies look like sets, like a theatre play..I'm not here for that..it's not called movie magic for nothing..
Nothing to argue with there. It really depends on the movie. I marathon horror movies every October. And the last few years, I've taken to viewing some of the classics on VHS just for grins. And you're right. Some of those movies just hit a bit harder filtered through the analog graininess of videotape - especially TCM. I watch the 4K to take in the craft and filmmaking elements (which are actually considerable for such a low-budget affair). But on VHS, that movie feels downright filthy. Like it should come with a dose of antibiotics or something. The same with The Exorcist -- the VHS color is so washed-out in spots that it feels almost monochrome but it really adds to the grim tone of that movie in a way the blu-ray doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darian Starfrog
Feb 1, 2024
I came here for a laugh and you didn't disappoint. A 4K disc is always going to outperform a streaming movie. That's a fact. You're playing a 4K movie on a PS5....get a legitimate 4K player.