The Best of CES: Samsung WF457 Washer and Dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybneo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
meh. make one that can wash, then dry without having to move the laundry!
Add an espresso machine and im done!

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Yeah... the benefits of this in a household seem awfully minor compared to what will likely be an exorbitant price tag.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
What a waste of money and resources. Machines to wash and dry clothes are simple mechanical devices. Your grandmother's washer probably lasted at LEAST 40 years, maybe with minor service. Will this? Hah!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]cybneo[/nom]meh. make one that can wash, then dry without having to move the laundry! Add an espresso machine and im done![/citation]

This may come as a shock but there are single washing/drying units out there already. Us Americans have no use for them since we don't have anything else to fill the 1000 sq ft of wasted space in our basement anyhow, but hey. And espresso? Why would I want to stay at home for Espresso? That would be like having a washing machine dispense movie tickets (but not be a theater).

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I'd like a toaster that can be remotely programmed to lower the bread in the toaster. Then, I want it to send me a text message, or better yet, a picture of the toast when it's done.

Come on, I'm all for innovation, but some things are just not meant to have electronics.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom] Us Americans have no use for them since we don't have anything else to fill the 1000 sq ft of wasted space in our basement anyhow, but hey. [/citation]

What ignorance. How about we don't like to wait to start another load. I can have one washing and one drying at the same time. Not to mention most dual units take forever to dry and then it's only damp.

Are you bitter because you don't have a basement or something?

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Best of show??? Then we are truly in trouble!!!
Great, so we can control a washer from several continents away and start and pause it.

SO WHAT??????
What advantage is offered by that?
Automation with a point that actually adds actual beneficial functionality would be great. But simply putting a 'remote control' capability on a device does not necessarily add a beneficial function!

Now, if this thing went about the house, gathered linens, sorted them, configured the wash and then was able to schedule the wash, THEN it would be significant - but simply stopping and starting it remotely?

WHO CARES?

...Not to mention that we need someone else with a real world value system deciding what is "best of show"

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I am retired and a senior citizen. I can honestly say all us seniors need is a washer and dryer with just one setting - permanent press (wash and wear)!

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Watch are you watching on your smart phone?
A movie from Netflix...

What are you watching?
My washer...

Folks, this mindless obsession with monitoring. Is it a feeling of control? Power? Information?
Or simply a psychological flaw?

Is there a point to such monitoring and control?
Does it actually add to one's quality of life, or actually provide a useful service whose benefit can be quantified (more so than what a simple delay timer can provide?)

Hey folks, I can program my coffee maker to make coffee when no one is home while I am on vacation - and I can monitor its progress! Whoopee!

Now, if they would only spend their time developing functions that actually solve real problems in a constructive manner that add real value to our lives...

Enjoy watching your washer on your 'smart'(sic) phone.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]By the time I do all that with the phone my old washer with knobs will be in the rinse cycle.Plus I don't want electronic devices around water.[/citation]

Ummm, doesn't your old washer run off electricity, or am I missing something? lol
But I agree, my "old" washer will also be well on it's way before I program this one.

anhxeom

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]erunion[/nom]Why would I want to start or pause remotely? Does the app load the clothes as well?[/citation]

Uhh...They had all-in-one washer dryer combo for a while now. My family actuallly has two LG washer/dryer units. When you see the two units, you think that it's a separate washer and dryer but they are both all in one. They only cost a little more than a stand alone. Try looking up LG All In One washer dryer.

As for the expresso machine..Wait 2 more years, they will have one that will bake bread and roast a pig.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
It better be high quality as I am tired of the Korean and Chinese crappy imports that give out after a year or two of normal use. Tired of washers that are easily imbalanced and seam to want to crash through a wall or two while cheap dryers often end up nearly as broken needing repairs. Cheap springs, lack of lubrication for the bearings, cheap plastic everything, and metal to be almost as thinner than rice paper. Home appliances now days even with all the fancy high dollar bells, whistles, gadgets, and more don't cut it like they used to. They might as well have built in High def HD TVs and a xbox/ps3/google comp to win over people now days. Back then stuff used to work for greater part of a decade or two before needing to be replaced. Still remember those refrigerators built in the soviet union that were built to last a minimum of 25 years without needing to be fixed/replaced. Now a fridge barely last lasts three or four years before the compressor has kicked the bucket or thermostat goes out.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]What a waste of money and resources. Machines to wash and dry clothes are simple mechanical devices. Your grandmother's washer probably lasted at LEAST 40 years, maybe with minor service. Will this? Hah![/citation]

I much rather have a simple but very well made machine over the crap they make now days and I am only 22 year old gamer. I don't care even if it is made of cast iron so long that it actually works and gets the clothes clean.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]cybneo[/nom]meh. make one that can wash, then dry without having to move the laundry! Add an espresso machine and im done![/citation]

I have a LG WM3987HW Washer/Dryer Combo.

It is ventless and runs on 120 V AC. You put the clothes in dirty and they come out dry and ready to be folded/hanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.