The Chevy Volt to be Priced $41,000 (or $33,500)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
It's a nice car but I still have high hopes for the Tesla model S even though it is a lot more money.

It might not be a bad idea to get electric, if war breaks with Iran or NK who knows how high gas prices will go.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
$33.5K is expensive, but looking at lease option it's ridiculously cheap. At $350/month a lot of people will lease it.
Don't see a reason to buy, as there is no way to tell how it will perform in 5 years.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
So if you aren't signed up for a green electricity tariff or make your own, it's 100% fossil-fuel driven.

All these cars should come with a green electricity tariff for your home.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
You know I find it funny that everyone talks about the middle east and war and gas prices... You do know that we get 80%!!!! of our oil from Canada right?

hemburger

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom] You do know that we get 80%!!!! of our oil from Canada right?[/citation]
Where exactly do you 'know' this from?

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I like the fact that electrics are so financially sensible that we need to give the first few thousand users a free home charging station. This is paid for by the taxpayers, of course...

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
What person in their right mind would buy the car for that price? That is simply insanity. It's similar to the pricey overhead that Ford places on their hybrids. Between the price difference of a hybrid and the normal model, you can pay the fuel difference easily and still come out with more money in your pocket.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
No one is mentioning the fact that this (seemingly) only does 40 miles on batteries, which is fine if you live in a city and charge it every night, but pretty much useless as an eco option for anyone else.

Gimmick.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
So, what's the difference between the $41K Volt and a Honda or Toyota hybrid at half the price - a larger LiOn battery pack? Yes I know the Volt is plug-in rechargeable, but you can buy a mod kit for the hybrids for far less than $20K..

Even with gas at $5 a gallon, you would have to drive 200K miles at 50 mpg before you'd break even..

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Wish there were cost figures included for charging daily![/citation]
+1!
GM doesn't want to advertise factors of electricity usage like they do with fuel. I'm sure it'll double your household electric bill if your a daily commuter! btw, only the first 40 miles is total electric, who here drives less then this a day so they can be proud to not use the fossil fuels? Plugging/Unplugging a car daily would be a pain that I wouldn't care for, give me a big gas guzzling hemi and watch me lay rubber past this overpriced toy!

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Yes, let's move forward even though they already predicted not having enough lithium ion available to even mass produce electric cars, nevermind the fact that nickel refinement is toxic and requires the batteries to go to multiple countries onboard fossil fuel burning huge ships, gas cars are actually far better for the environment lol

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Holy Cow, 41K? That makes $5 a gallon gas look cheap if you ask me. Guess I am not completely sold on the "green" thing. Wait, I understand, "green" is what GM is planning on making off this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.