The console war is dead

Jan 30, 2022
The console war never was, companies behind sales loved people arguing but it never did much. I have all three, know many who do, it is similiar to Red v Blue, Team v Team, GM v Ford.
Purely a manufactured conflict to create publicity using a few keyboard warriors as proof.

haydnfan

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
I disagree that the console war is over. With both MS and Sony eagerly buying up game studios to keep big titles off of the other platform, gamers will be angrier than they have ever been before. Having exclusives launch on PC is irrelevant to someone that only owns a console.

Jan 30, 2022
😂 This claim of the “console war” being over is so beyond absurd it’s laughable. PC gaming is still plagued by no assurances of performance across titles with a single hardware configuration that gets anywhere near the lower cost of consoles. Cloud gaming, while constantly talked about in online reporting, is not any roaring success that people like yourself are making it out to be. Cloud gaming is wrought with issues with the most specific one being bandwidth drop making the experience suddenly terrible or just unplayable. Hell, even Steam is releasing a handheld console as it is, though it is leveraging PC platform gaming, but the price point is so high with what is quickly emerging as completely hit-or-miss performance across titles. That’s not an issue on consoles. The majority of gaming consumers are insistent on their gaming experience being reliable above all else. So, no, the console wars are not over

Jan 30, 2022
Useless article that really doesn’t say much other than “I think I’m better than these people”. I think it had “new ways to game for everyone” vibe somewhere in there, but it got hidden under the “holier-than-thow” attitude. I have and love both consoles. But I understand the people who argue over them, they are passionate about it. Im sure you have something similar that you argue passionately about. But your “superior””better than thow” attitude in the article is hypocritical and sad. I hope the console wars never dies, and they keep fueling the innovation we’ve been seeing, like all these new ways to play games. Like I said, completely USELESS article.

Jan 31, 2022
Dude, seriously? You write in a "serious" website while having such a reduced understanding of the industry right now?

You refer to people arguing about consoles as "pathetic", then you drop all the zealot master race crap on the article? Did you think what you were writing? It's seriously insulting.

This piece of text is no better than what you read from all those twitter teenagers talking about how much they like their machine (whatever it is)

But all for the clicks, right? Well. Hope your cry for attention gives this web traffic. At least will be a reminder of why less and less people come to big sites for their information.

GreiverBlade

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2013
cloud gaming, welcome to the world of 0 control no modding no community patch in games that support and need them (mostly single player ofc), even worse ... a messed up patch on the server and you are stuck with it until they correct it, instead of being able to roll back to a previous version.
well console are also that kind ... but you don't pay for a cloud service in a pay to play manner with a few interesting games and a bunch of others that you would probably never play...

if i had to pick a side between console with (overpriced) games in physical or download and cloud (or console with cloud only) i'd choose the prior, luckily the lack of meaningful exclusive on both console and cloud gaming flops (hint: Stadia has no charm at all ) are what keeping me on my PC, can do anything a console can and cannot
game streaming on the other hand is not a problem, as long as the game is on my main computer and can be accessed in case of aforementioned community improvement.

Consoles have their charms, both consoles are equals (aside the pad ergonomic ... i hate symmetrical analog... :LOL: ) up to the X360 and PS3 i still had both aside my PC, at that time there were some exclusives that never came to PC

Mod Edit - Language

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 1, 2022
I've never owned an Xbox, last PlayStation I has was a PS2, having a PC i never found i needed a console, in the past couple of years I decided my PC was old and needed a new one but before investing I tried the cloud gaming offers, they were all OK but there was an element of control missing.

Then I found shadow.tech and never ended up getting new PC, the rest of the cloud services all feel like consoles, Shadow is the new way to play PC, it's still got a ways to go same as all of the cloud options but I've been using it exclusively for over a year and wouldn't go back to having a desktop, having access to a virtual Windows PC that can play all of games on all of my devices is amazing, I can carry my chromebook or a portable screen for my phone and set up anywhere to play any game.