The Desk Every Modern School Should Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This has been around for a while.. they had them when i was in college 5 years ago..

We have some similar desks at work, very clean looking for meetings, yet you have a PC monitor when needed. The issue with this is the cost of having a computer at every desk, which I'm sure very very few schools have.

dochood

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Yeah, they aren't wasting enough money on crap as it is... they need to shell out hundreds for "high tech" desks. Maybe they could spend that on teaching reading, writing, and science?

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]hang-the-9[/nom]We have some similar desks at work, very clean looking for meetings, yet you have a PC monitor when needed. The issue with this is the cost of having a computer at every desk, which I'm sure very very few schools have.[/citation]

Only a monitor and a very minor computer to communicate with an operating system on one central machine with multiple virtual machines over the network is needed.
Please someone correct my wording, I'm not a massive IT guy.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
while it's neat, I rather have LCD arm attached to the desk so I can have some control over placement of the screen depending on the need...

most have portrait or landscape pivot so you can read the entire web page or a large picture on a single screen instead of scrolling constantly....

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Waste of money these desks are.
Schools should run a citrix environment with thin clients to connect... this is far cheaper then a PC for everyone. Also the school district would have full control over the software the kids have access to during class. Bub-by Facebook and messenger and all other time wasters.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
While the concept looks great, I still have issues with "modern schools" when teachers are being let go left and right.

Use the money that you'd spend on this for teachers, chalkboards, paper, and writing tools.

That seemed to worked fine when I went to school.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I was a computer teacher at an elementary school for 2 years and I would look though the catalogs with similar desks and only dream of having the budget to buy such a thing, that desk alone probably cost more than the 20 computers in the lab the school had. It would have helped a lot in my situation as the room was dual purpose and art classes would be held in there. Getting paint off keyboards is a bitch, and the prices are probably unrealistic.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]Only a monitor and a very minor computer to communicate with an operating system on one central machine with multiple virtual machines over the network is needed.Please someone correct my wording, I'm not a massive IT guy.[/citation]

The only problem is networking...school networks are not the best to start with, and I think anything from Cisco and such would be quite expensive, which would take away the advantages of cost-saving on computers.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
me thinks the design would be better if the PC container was more to the rear and butted out that way because I know my knees would be slamming into that thing.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I love how our public schools are depending more and more on technology to teach our children. It has worked out well so far.

Looks like the i-desk to go along with all the macbooks some school districts have been handing out on taxpayer's dime. States are going bankrupt trying to fund public education and they wonder why their budgets keep going up and test scores are going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.