the difference is?? huge ??

dirolas

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
Hello,

So currently i am using Plantronics 788 headset , the surround sound seems okay i guess ( first surround sound headset i owned :p but they do pressure my ears... alot ). I got some spare cash to spend,and thinking about sennheiser hd 558 ,i'm mainly using headphones for games,a bit for music ( if someone is watching tv loudly or something ).Or there are much better options out there then sennheiser hd 558? Thanks in advance. :bounce:

depends on what you're looking for..

the hd518/558/598 are a decent line of headphones with a more laid back easylistening and neutral sound to them. they are open back for large soundstage and positional audio however will leak some audio in and out.

if you have a soundcard (or onboard) that has virtual surround support you could get it working on your new headphones. the 788 just has a soundcard inside them that makes them virtual instead of just 2.0.

dirolas

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014

Thanks for such a quick reply.The headset can be "open" "closed" type.I dont have soundcard what so ever,maybe it's better going with hd 518 and amp for it?would that increase overall sound performance wise over just getting 588 alone? At the moment i got 120 euros to spend. 120euros is the cost of 558 where i live.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
If you are really interested on those Sennheisser headphones,
If I found the correct spec from HD518, HD588 and HD558, those are 50 Ohm headphones.
For headphones over 32 Ohm, I would recommend getting extra soundcard or extra DAC with an end-amplifier powerful enough to drive 50 Ohm headphones properly.
Those on-board sound-card is not optimal for headphone over 32 Ohm. The on-board ones will do but just not optimal.
I bought ASUS Essence STX II for my V-Moda M100 and I can tell quite a huge different to the onboard soundcard.
The virtual surround function from the STX II in combination with V-Moda M100 is even better than the one I had on Logitech G35.

you could go with the hd518 paired with a xonar dg. that would give you virtual surround as an option if you felt you needed it, it has a stronger amp than onboard (you likely dont need this since senns are easy to drive), as well as a bit of quality increase over onboard. the xonar dg is pretty cheap as well (normally about 1/3 the cost of the hd518)

the 518/558/598 all share the same drivers... so there is minimal difference between them. the cheaper ones are a bit more bassy with less soundstage while the higher end ones are more neutral with better soundstage. the 518 is a cheap mans 598.

dirolas

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
i have one question about the 558 connectors,it has 3.5mm in headset and outside headset ? so i could directly plug in into pc,or i have to buy another one? i'm thinking there's only 3.5mm in headset,and 6.3mm outside from it,so idk

6.3mm (1/4") are what i believe it comes with. if i recall correctly they were providing an adapter for them (to go from 1/4 to 3.5mm) in the box although they do make cables which are little nicer to use such as http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KAKBHKM which have screw off connectors. there are also slightly cheaper ones with just a 3.5mm (no screw connector). you might even be able to use a standard 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable though the little locks on the headphone for the cable might interfere with a generic bought cable.

3-5mm-5N-OFC-Copper-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD6-HD7-HD8-HD6-MIX-DJ-HD595-font.jpg

the one end needs to be 2.5mm not 3.5mm. also, they have a quick lock mechanism on the headphones which is why you see the cutout on the cable. you could probably get a standard cable to work (by cutting out the locking mechanism on the headphones) but this lock helps keep the cable from pulling out during use.

the headphones should come with an adapter similar to below

094029_Adapter13174629934e86e3d1a1be8.jpg

although you could also use one of these too which are a bit more flexible and do not stick out as far as a solid connector. they are less prone to hitting things and snapping as well. not as good as an actual cable replacement but better than the long extension - they are pretty much dirt cheap too.

300x300px-LS-f85d9247_B001DK1ZVO-11FBWSkJ7CL.jpeg

dirolas

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014

yeah i see that i do need to buy a different cable, i'f i'm getting these headphones,the lasts showed in pictures 2.5mm with 3.5mm? or it's 6.3mm with 3.5mm? i can't really tell in picture :[

the three pictures in order..

2.5mm (headphone end) to 3.5mm (pc end) cable ... no bulky adapters to deal with so its the nicest looking option, most expensive though.
6.3mm (plug which comes on headphones) to 3.5mm solid adapter ... should come in the box with the headphones. a bit long, could break if you bang it.
6.3mm to 3.5mm cable adapter ... similar to above but more flexible and sticks out much less than a solid adapter. not likely to break off.

what you linked above is the solid adapter. one of those should come with the headphones (from what i've been told anyways). they will work however since they stick out so far if you bump them from the side too hard you might snap the connector off in your pc/device jack.

if you wanted to stay on the cheap side, i would get like the last photo.... a cable with a 6.3mm (1/4") female socket on one end and a 3.5mm male connector on the other. it is more flexible and the plug connector doesnt stick out so you wouldnt have the same problem as with the solid adapter.

TRENDING THREADS