The Disney Plus price hike will push people to cancel — here’s why

Aug 10, 2023
I have been with Disney+ since the 1st day. It had hiccups when it first launched and I knew the 7 dollar monthly rate was just a teaser to get us in the door. However, next month I will cancel my subscription. Like you said, it's the only form of protest we consumers have. Trust me, I can live without Netflix (already a victim of separate households) and Disney. I'm going to see if Peacock follows suit, which they raised their prices a couple of months ago, but it was a small increase and I got a discount for prepaying a year in advance. I'll drop Peacock too, if they follow in the footsteps of Netflix and Disney. I always have eBay where I can get my DVDs and I have the free Roku channel, discovered a few months ago and addicted to it. We have choices, Disney.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
All you can do is cancel when they jack up the prices. It's bad enough when the other guys do it but Disney Plus just doesn't have enough new programming to make it worth it. Unfortunately all the services are under the delusion that they can drag you along with one so so show a month , that you don't even really want to watch.

I've already been using the Just Watch app to keep track of shows. Just wait until there's enough programming to make it interesting, subscribe for a month and then cancel. I'm sure eventually they'll put a stop to that in some way, but for now that's the only real option.

Jun 13, 2023
I suspect Disney thinks it can get away with this because of unique properties of their audience. On the one hand are the hard-core Marvel and Star Wars nerds, who are used to paying through the nose for their obsession. On the other hand - kids. Adults can make a logical decision about the value proposition of the content, but it's hard to explain to children why that favorite movie they watch over and over isn't there anymore.

Aug 11, 2023
I personally thought Mando Season 3 was the best so far. More action, more lore, more likeable characters, more of the good guys wining. In fact this is the first place I've read that people didn't like it. To each his own.

Regarding streaming services, we were planning on cancelling Disney+ soon, this just makes it easier. We are cancelling Netflix as well. Cutting the cord used to be about cost savings. With a dozen different popular streaming services we're right back where we started with overpriced cable and satellite, and we're only watching two channels. I'm sticking with Max (Legacy Plan), and Prime Video. $16/mo for my Max plan, and Prime Video is a result of my sub so I don't consider that a monthly streaming expense. Prime has released some good things over the last few years