The Fastest Wireless Networks of 2017

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
2016? Your tests are from September of 2015 and despite not being that "old", things have changed a lot since then and again, is not from 2016. Bad clickbait headline!

Mike_310

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
i call BS. Verizon is only 5% faster than tmobile yet the same app downloads 40% faster on Verizon?

chrisfo1

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015
You should change what speeds were actually being measured. Verizon does not have 24Megabytes per second download. That is insane cellular data speeds and is very very misleading. Those numbers are most likely Megabits* speed, not Megabytes. Mbps stands for Megabits. 1 Megabyte = 6 Megabits. When you download those speed test apps or go to websites testing your internet speed, you are testing the Megabits. So you should be seeing 144Mbps when you measure your speeds on the websites and apps. I am very certain you are not seeing such speeds via cell data lol. Not even close actually.

veladem

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
@CHRISFO1 I easily get 50-100Mbps via Ookla on Straight Talk/AT&T. If you'd like a screen cap I can easily get you a few tested over the last half year or so.

taylorh_9

Honorable
May 21, 2012
In San Jose, I can safely say that T-Mobile is easily 2-3x faster than Verizon in most places (we have both.) Some places Verizon is faster or as fast. However T-Mobile's coverage kind of stinks. It's either all or nothing and you get nothing far too frequently whereas Verizon can range from slow to fast, but it always works.
So speed tests are interesting, but I'm really more interested in consistent good performance in the most places, not rockin' fast performance in spots. Based on my experience, that's how these two measure up.
Despite that, I'm eyeing the day I can switch to T-Mobile. Sadly some places I currently need coverage (remote rural) T-Mobile simply has no signal whatsoever.

flameout00

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Definitely depends on which part of the Country you are in. Maybe I'm just in a really great spot, but I get around 130 Mbps download and 15 upload (Sprint, Galaxy S7 Edge, Ookla speedtest app) and these results are fairly consistent

PReed4962

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Cricket advertises their speed at 8Mbps - it is not meant to be as fast as AT&T - its also A LOT less expensive.

Zuper_

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
These tests are always meaningless. Verizon spends its money in cities. Sprint is hardly a national carrier, drive through flyover country with a sprint phone and you will be roaming on the verizon network most of the time.

Chris_442

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
I'm in North jersey and since my galaxy S8 got here last week I've been averaging download speeds on sprint btwn 35mbps to 45mbps with two tests this weekend as high as 67mbps. I drive for a living and those speeds have been pretty consistent across much of the urban/suburban NY metro area. Those speeds are twice as fast as what I was getting with my S6 five days ago. Maybe the new in phone antenna is the difference. Sprint has been trying to get manufacturers to build phones with the latest antenna for a while now and Samsung finally delivered. I'm sure Verizon had something to do with delaying advancement in technology especially by a competitor.

williger

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
FWIW I live in Palatine and my Verizon drops constantly. Visiting friends in the area experience same problem. Switching to AT&T, as I'm lucky to get one bar on Verizon. Hopefully, AT&T is better, Sprint is even worse here.

jdting

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Wow! Six whole cites. That makes a HUGE judgement about all the other places in this country. Click-bait for sure.