The HomePod Launch Is Officially a Fail, So What Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2018
i want a great sounding speaker and I don't find having to use airplay for anything other than apple music as that much of a blocker, considering I have my phone on me at all times. And just a few years ago, just the prospect of airplay alone would be considered a huge feature. Also, i refuse other "smart" speakers because I take issue with their security. Apple, if they can be trusted, is encrypting my identity, anonymizing it, and only listening when activated by command. Can the others say the same? Seriously, I am asking, can they?

Feb 15, 2018
Remember when Apple told customers "they were holding their iphone wrong" in response to their design fault, before handing our free phone bumpers?

Their response to HomePod's design flaw is"You're placing it on surfaces wrong".. lmao
Can we get a free coaster yet?

Feb 15, 2018
This is pretty much par for the course for Apple, isn't it? Their first gen new products are always pretty awful, but subsequent versions make pretty huge strides.

I think the takeaway here is to just never buy the first generation of a new Apple product.

Feb 16, 2018
The fact that this shipped without support for multiple speakers for something marketed as a speaker first, was bad enough (I mean seriously), but the absolute lack of connectivity to a larger music and automation ecosystem were the nails in the coffin.

Feb 19, 2018
The fact that some man-made products/substances will cause a mark on certain wood finishes is nothing new, and nothing surprising. If one chooses to place plastic, vinyl, sililcone objects on non-sealed wood finishes, you get what you deserve. Ask owners of expensive guitars about avoiding vinyl-backed guitar straps on their $1K/$2K and higher guitars.

Feb 22, 2018
Fail is an understatement. To recap (also from Marques Brownlee's review):
- Anyone can control it (i.e. ask to narrate your messages)
- Cannot connect to anything that is not an iPhone (not even a Mac). That is some mangled ecosystem alright
- Cannot connect to Bluetooth or 3.5" jack
- Cannot set up Spotify as default player
- Can't order products, food, Ubers
- Can't set multiple timers
- Power cable is non removable
- Can't make phone calls
- Can't use find my phone
- Siri is the dumbest smart assistant of them all
Oh. AND IT LEAVES WHITE MARKS ON YOUR FURNITURE.

Really. What the hell is happening in Cupertino? Do they do any QA anymore?

Feb 27, 2018
The problem with the Google and Amazon speakers, is that they don't sound good enough. I can use my phone's speaker for everything I need already. If I'm going to bother buying a speaker, smart of otherwise, it has to offer me dramatically better audio. That makes the HomePod the best option out the gate, hands down.

Patrick_1966

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
My solution to the white ring issue is to get one of those circular cork pot trivets and place it under the home pod or my Sonos. Costs 1.00 at the dollar store or if you want a larger one its about 2 dollars and looks good with the white HomePod.

Status
Not open for further replies.