tropxboy

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015
Hello! I have a request for those who know their computers. I am looking for a laptop and the ideal specifications would be:

17.3" laptop
1920x1080 display
i5 or i7 processor with a minimum of 2.0 GHz
8GB of RAM/MEMORY
USB 3.0 support with backwards compatibility with USB 2.0
1TB HDD or some type of SSD will be fine
DVD/CD drive
NOTE: No need for a GPU because I am not a gamer and will not be needing a GPU for any other reason.

If a few of these specs are off, recommending me something close to this will be appreciated. I am looking for a powerful laptop that is somewhat similar to a server, but without the aesthetics of gaming laptops. Most of these specs fall under the high-end gaming laptops, but I am looking for a high-end general use laptop to use for running different operating systems, performing memory draining applications, etc.

metalicgeek

Estimable
Most high-end laptops with quad-core i7s that can be comparable to servers are also gaming laptops. Here's one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152742

The GP70 is relatively understated in design compared to other MSI laptops. In this device, you have a full quad-core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, a 1TB drive, USB 3.0 support (all USB 3.0 ports work with USB 2.0 devices), an optical drive, and a 1080p 17.3" display.

George Phillips

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
Intel released a new line of Xeon processors for laptop PCs. I'd consider one of those. I personally use a HP Elitebook 14" model with core i5 and also 1080p screen. Surprisingly, the pixels of a 1080p screen on a laptop PC is not too small as the user also sits much closer to a laptop screen. If weight is also a concern, you may also want to consider a 16", 15" or 14" models. I highly recommend HP Elitebook and also Dell XPS lines.