The iMac 2021 design is beautiful — and flawed

Apr 24, 2021
Good article. I am a PC user and intends to buy the new iMac in 2021 but now has serious doubts about buying it. I think this is a lost opportunity to persuade Windows users like me to switch to MacOS. Also weird that the iconic Apple logo has now disappeared from the front. If Apple thinks that this logo branding is not so important to the user/customer and can be located at the back , then why should the user/customer buys an iMac and instead go for any generic and more affordable all-in-one PC?

Jun 24, 2021
I think your'e article stinks. You are the most cynical reporter I've ever read. It is clear that you have no concept of how to design and/or produce high-end computers. Your expectations are a figment of your imagination. The M1 just revolutionized the computer industry; Intel is flat on it's backside and Apple new chip has been a major break-through for their 1st foray into system on a chip (SoC) architecture.

Your expectations of the M1X chip have been a figment of too many idiots trying to predict what's next (they're wrong this period of time). The 24" iMac 2021 is a baseline desktop computer and really doesn't' need to be a super computer. Most people will use this computer to surf the internet or write letter/e-mails or do homework and the like or maybe play a game or two. An M1x or M2 is not required for this iMac.

It does take time to develop new high-end chips and build factories to produce these chips on the 5nm or 4nm or 3nm process technologies. Intel is using 10 or 7nm??? The M1 SoC architecture which uses the 5nm process was a break through in November 2020 (last year). Typically, it takes a year to take the next step. I believe that the M2 chip will be out by the end of this year, unless the silicon is hard to obtain (remember COVID-19?).

The high-end Mac (probably a 30" screen) and the 14" & 16" Mac Book Pros will come out in November/December or the 1st quarter of next year (if silicon is hard to get).

If I were Apple running a business and not some reporter's daydream. I would go into a 2 year product cycle. The next update for Mac pro, Mac mini, iPads and low end iMac will occur in 2022 (with an M1X), whereas, the high-end iMacs and Mac Book Pros will receive another update in 2023 (an M3/4). Since people only buy a new MAC every 8 years or so (including you), why continue to use a 1 year product update cycle?

I would stop complaining about what you didn't get and wait for the M2's to arrived. Either that or start designing and producing high-quality, highly reliable computers yourself!