The iPhone Has Been Tracking Where You Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Apple users are already convinced Steve knows what's best for them, so I doubt they will care. And if by some chance they do, maybe we'll see a mass exodus of iVictims.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
The issue isn't that it tracks where you go (all modern cell phones do this, smartphone and dumbphone alike). The issue is that it stores all of this information in a plain text file, and not only that, but also spreads it all over the place.

If you ever lose your iPhone, or your iTunes gets hacked, or your MacBook gets stolen/hacked, all a would-be thief has to do is open that file and he'll know exactly when you'll be out of your house, and for how long, perfect for a home invasion.

G

quantumrand, you can only see past activity with the application, in a very fast forward mode and not the exact location (it's not using the GPS technology for it) to know 'exactly when you'll be out of your house, and for how long" that's complete nonsense. In fact, if somebody wanted to stalk you in such way, all they have to do is hack your where's my droid/find my iphone/lookout account on either iOS or Android.

This is something that needs to be explained, but I think some people are overreacting with the completely inaccurate information this file captures.

note: I DO NOT own an iPhone or an iPad.

G

People like quantumrand think they're so important.

No one really cares where you've been, where you are or where you're going, quantum. If they want to break into your house they'll just have to watch you drive away in your car.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]How is this a bad thing? the only people who shouldn't want to keep a personal record of their movements are criminals...[/citation]

I would guess that 99% of the population don't want to be tracked wherever they go and have it stored for several reasons, you claim 99% of the population is criminals for wanting to protect their freedom? What agency/advertisement company do you work for?

G

Yeah, I gave the tracking program a try and the locations it is storing are not very accurate and apparently my iPhone took a trip to Vegas without me at some point. I know GPS isn't exactly accurate for civilian use, but over 1,000 miles off is a bit much.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]How is this a bad thing? the only people who shouldn't want to keep a personal record of their movements are criminals...[/citation]
Ever heard of civil liberties?
Tell you what if you are so happy with this let's have the Government implant a GPS chip in every newborn baby
Then fingerprint everyone regardless of crimes being committed or not
Your DNA being kept on file
And a CCTV camera installed in your bedroom
what a 'tard...

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Being tracked without permission? Against the law isn't it? They've tracked probably millions of people...... By my calculations, we could take Apple for everything they're worth and more.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]Being tracked without permission? Against the law isn't it? They've tracked probably millions of people...... By my calculations, we could take Apple for everything they're worth and more.[/citation]

Considering that the Eula is accepted when the hardware is purchased/used the user sells away that part of their freedom voluntarily, and then considering how much effort Apple have put into protecting the gathered data and that it's even copied to the computer on synchronization tells me all i need to know how much Apple care about their customers privacy...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Probably stored in itunes so it can be retrieved by a third party at any moment. All they have to do is log in or hack your itunes account.
Creepy... and to think they were bitching about Google as being evil for storing some wifi hotspots locations. I dont carry the wifi hotsopt with me, but this is a cellphone, it's supposed to be on you.

mcnaugha

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
@quantumrand iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 encrypt all data on the device using strong AES. So it's not so much a plain text file that some bad guy can swipe.

Apple offers a remote wipe feature for free to iPhone 4 and iPad users. iPhone 3GS users can get this functionality if they subscribe to Apple's MobileMe. If you're silly enough to lose your iPhone or it gets stolen then you just activate the remote wipe as fast as you can.

The tracking is mostly useful for finding your iPhone if it gets lost/stolen. This could prove helpful to the Police.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mcnaugha[/nom]@quantumrand iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 encrypt all data on the device using strong AES. So it's not so much a plain text file that some bad guy can swipe.[/citation]
The one synced to the home PC is unencrypted yet identical, so the fact that it is encrypted the iPhone doesn't make it secure.

seamusmac

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

Umm how about someone using this info they got from your Iphone to track you and rob/kidnap or whatever you when they know you go by a certain place.

Status
Not open for further replies.