News The iPhone SE just put every cheap Android phone on notice — here's why

Apr 25, 2020
Really, no not even close. The SE still costs 400 dollars. my LG phone only cost 10 dollars thru tracfone, its normally 75.00. SE putting Android on notice, i don't think so. Manufacturers think that releasing an expensive phone every six months will get people to switch. How about releasing a good sub 150.00 phone with the features that people need.

Reactions: Mimi@28

kadajawi

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
Erm. No. First of all, I'm no stranger to flagship phones, having had the Sony Xperia XZ2, XZ3, Huawei P30 Pro and a couple of others as review sample. For the past month or so I had a Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Pro, which I did purchase myself, and in terms of pricing is close to the iPhone SE.

For that price I get a phone that instead of having massive bezels coming right out of 2015 and wasting a ton of space that could be, you know, used for a screen, I get a phone that is essentially one big screen. And it is good. OLED, 6,4-ish inches. Could it be a bit sharper? Yeah. But almost none are, and certainly not the iPhone. Wish also just has an LCD, as good as that might be. Mind you, the Xiaomi even has something that's like True Tone - IMHO Xiaomi does some of the best Android screens, without jaring colors, nicely balanced and natural. Hold them up next to an iPhone, and they'll be about as good.

Then there's the battery. 5260 mAh or something like that... this thing just LASTS. And there's 30W charging, so it won't take forever. Oh yeah, and they don't make you buy an extra charger, it's right in the box. The only thing I'd complain about is that it is some proprietary thing instead of using PD.

256 GB of built in storage (the non pro has 128) and 8 GB (non pro 6 GB) of RAM are also quite a bit ahead of the iPhone SE.

And the camera? The Xiaomi beats the Huawei P30 Pro. It wipes the floor with the iPhone. You can install Gcam, so the processing side is taken care of. And the main camera is huge. As in, your photos will have natural bokeh levels of huge. Turns out that does help in taking good low light photos, or photos in general. Having a decent 2x zoom camera helps too. And another 3,7x camera (though you have to pinch to zoom... the app only lets you jump right to 5x... which is pretty dumb). And an ultra wide. All of these cameras take beautiful photos. Are the results from that one iPhone SE camera a tad better compared to the stock Xiaomi app? Perhaps. But then just switch to Gcam, and besides top notch processing you get a sensor and lens that are on a whole nother level.

Now, MIUI has ads, which are annoying (and could mislead less experienced phone users). But it works pretty well otherwise. And the downside everyone keeps moaning about: the Snapdragon 730G. But in general use I must say... what's the problem? The storage is fast, there's plenty of RAM. The phone is fast. There's little lag. Could it be better? Yes. Is it bad? Absolutely not. It's a good experience, I've had worse with higher end processors. Lets not forget, the 730G is still a modern, fast chip. What good is having a faster processor if the rest is a let down (looking at many other "flagship killers").

Reactions: N. Ringheim
Apr 25, 2020
The SE is a good phone but the small screen lets many Android phones outclass it at the $400 price range. Processor speed is not a problem beyond a certain point,

Apr 4, 2020
Yeah its meh. Looks like the iPhone 8 from years ago. 400 dollars gets you a pretty much better android in every aspect.

N. Ringheim

Commendable
Apr 26, 2020
I would also consider the Huawei Nova 5T with a big good screen, several cameras (wide, zoom, macro,) time if flight (debt sensor) and night mode that is borrowed from the P30 model. It also borrows the same Kirin 980 top model processor (2019) and 6 gig. ram along with 128 GB of storage. It has a 3750 mAH battery and 22 w. Fast charger in the box (so I wouldn't need wireles) this will last you all day. Yes it still has Google play store. So I would say that I would take this phone any day over phone that looks the same as the 2015 iPhone 6.
Link to review
View: https://youtu.be/D3iOtgcsoic

I don't know the price in the US but in Scandinavia it is cheaper than the iPhone se 2020.

Apr 26, 2020
This article is wrong comparing to Samsung A50 which is older phone, the new A51 is also $400 and has killer specs - massive 6.5 edge to edge screen with punch hole front camera, 4 rear cameras, large 4000mAh battery, on-screen ultra sonic fingerprint sensor, 128GB standard memory and so on.

N. Ringheim

Commendable
Apr 26, 2020
P.s. I think you can get it in the U.S. at Amazon at the price of 299. But they just call it Honor 20, but it is the same phone.