The Kia EV3 could be the one car to convince me to buy an EV — here’s why

Gilmour

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2016
The base model of Tesla’s Model Y comes in at $44,990, which then goes down to $31,490 with all applicable rebates.
I don't know where you got that extra $6000 off, but I'm guessing that it's a state thing. Maybe don't assume that everyone lives where you do and can get the same local or state benefits as you. I'm sure not moving across the country to save $6000 on a Tesla.

Reactions: UleAmra
Jun 19, 2024
I know the Volvo and Polestar EVs have Google Assistant built in with exactly the functionality you describe. Isn't that true for GM's new products as well?

When other companies have tried to implement voice assistants they have typically suffered in comparison. I strongly support voice based interfaces in vehicles but I think Google's lead here is significant and without real world testing I have significant doubts about Kia's first effort.

I'm also tired of being excited about specifications for vehicles that won't come to market for years and have pricing estimates. It's putting people on the sidelines and depressing the used EV market at a time where we should be thinking good now is better than great in 2025.

Jun 19, 2024
Hyundai's good at EV platforms, no question. But yet another ugly SUV? Yeah, no.

A (much) smaller EV6 could be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 26, 2024
Velasco's comments here make it sound like the EV3 is a slightly scaled down EV9 less the third row, but that's not really the case. The EV3 is much more compact, e.g. very close to the dimensions of the Hyundai Kona EV I'm currently leasing (EV3 is slightly taller, slightly wider, slightly less long, slightly longer wheelbase), way off EV9 dimensions. The author may have confused the EV3 with the EV5, which won't be offered in the U.S. market and is somewhat larger.

As a higher-riding compact hatchback (calling it a "SUV" is a laughable stretch), the EV3 would meet my needs almost perfectly. It's the leading contender for purchase when my lease is up in '26, and I expect the '26 version will be equipped with the J3400/NACS DCFC port and have the new model kinks ironed out. I was initially interested in the Volvo EX30 (which is a bit smaller than the EV3 but still great for my purposes), but was disappointed to find they'd drunk the "no buttons / all screens" kool-aid more deeply than most, and the complaints in various reviews reveal it's not a great result. Having lived with the Kona for a while, I think H/K have found the right soft-screen/hard-button balance in their control interface, and shifting from the Kona to the EV3 looks to be quite straightforward compared to alternatives like whatever GM or Ford might have on offer.

A couple of years is a long time in the BEV market, so things may change in the meantime, but right now the only thing I'd find a lot more attractive would be a similarly-sized Hyundai with the styling language of the Ioniq 5. I love the 5's looks, and its styling would be a natural fit on a small hatchback. Unfortunately, Hyundai's currently offering no hints what it intends to offer to replace the Kona EV in the way that the EV3 effectively replaces the Niro EV (which Kia's suggested might be limited to hybrid and/or PHEV versions going forward). Otherwise, the Fiat 500e has limited utility given its price, Mini EVs aren't much better, the Boltium is little more than a vague idea, and whatever Ford's doing is vaguer still. I'd been pining for that sub-M3 Tesla for the past few years, but Tesla seems to have lost interest in the segment, while the stalkless weirdness of the new M3's driver experience doesn't bode well for whatever might finally show up.

The Kia EV3 looks like a great package from my perspective - but it might well win by default.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2024
Hyundai's good at EV platforms, no question. But yet another ugly SUV? Yeah, no.
Styling's subjective, so I can't argue the point objectively. That said, while I'm also sick of hulking SUVs cluttering up the roadway, on the scale of the EV3 I find the toy-Brinks-truck vibe more whimsical than brutalist. Reviewers have noted that the upright form contributes to easy ingress/egress, which I consider a big plus.

Jun 26, 2024
When other companies have tried to implement voice assistants they have typically suffered in comparison. I strongly support voice based interfaces in vehicles but I think Google's lead here is significant and without real world testing I have significant doubts about Kia's first effort.
This wouldn't be a first effort. The existing H/K voice assistant does what it does pretty reliably, so I think they have recognition down reasonably well. It lacks the full functionality of what I get through Android Auto from Google's voice assistant, but adding features is easier than working out what's being asked, so I'm not all that dubious about H/K's prospects.