The move to SD card is grey. It will not allow me to move apps to SD card. I have a Galaxy S5. What can I do?

Alice Carol

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
The move to SD card is grey. It will not allow me to move apps to my SD card. I have a Galaxy s5. What can I do? Also my visual voice mail quit working.

Android doesn't allow for apps to be moved to SD cards, and the apps that offer that option are usually just moving a small portion of the data over while the main app remains on internal storage. This is due to the fact that Android's default settings do not allow it to run an app off of SD cards.

You can get around that by rooting your phone, but that comes with complications of its own.

TamiSue

Commendable
May 7, 2016

TamiSue

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Well that figures. I've been moving apps all day long wondering why my storage isn't clearing up any better. I guess it's time to get an iPhone and give up on this Android. The whole reason I have an Android so I can have the additional SD card but that pretty much makes it useless if I can't move my stuff over to it.

Well you might actually be able to do it, but it would need some things to make it work.

First you would need to be able to upgrade the phone to the Marshmallow OS (operating system), and it would have to be a phone that Samsung hasn't restricted.

Some phone companies have made it so that even though you can (in Marshmallow only) format the SD card to be "Internal" rather than "External", some of them have put limitations on the phone to keep it from working. Not all, but many.

I can't say if yours would have the limitation. But "If" you can upgrade the OS to Marshmallow, you would be able to try. Before spending the money on a new phone that is.

Good Luck!

TRENDING THREADS