AMA {Winners announced!} The MSI Laptop AMA and Giveaway - Win a MSI Optix Curved Gaming Monitor!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2020
Also, in the details of the Raider, it says it only has 2 fans. My Stealth that I will be replacing has 3 fans ( that I’ve had to replace twice). Are the new fans a upgrade to what was in the older models ?

Apr 2, 2020
Will USB-C charging be standard on the Raider ?

Thanks for the question! The GE66 Raider actually uses an AC power adapter for charging with a redesigned flat power port for easier connectivity. However, the GS66 Stealth has the capability to charge through the USB-C due to Power Delivery technology when using a 65W+ compatible device, while retaining the option to charge from a standard power adapter. You can also charge PD supported smartphones about three times faster with the same port!

Reactions: PapiPanda
Apr 2, 2020
Also, in the details of the Raider, it says it only has 2 fans. My Stealth that I will be replacing has 3 fans ( that I’ve had to replace twice). Are the new fans a upgrade to what was in the older models ?

Yes, the GE66 Raider features Cooler Boost 5 technology with two enlarged fans and 6 wider heat pipes, while the GS66 has three fans and 7 heat pipes with Cooler Boost Trinity+ technology. In fact both models feature newly redesigned fans with thinner fan blades to allow us to add additional fan blades to each fan for increased airflow. Specifically for the GE66 Raider the larger fans have 53 blades each, due to the 0.25mm thickness per blade. That's a 43% increase in fan blades per fan which we have seen help drop system temperatures about 5° C in testing scenarios compared to the previous fan design.

Reactions: PapiPanda
Apr 2, 2020
is it better to connect my gaming laptop to a monitor when gaming?

Though connecting an external monitor to the laptop has its uses, it is certainly not required or necessarily better. For example, top configurations of our new GE66 Raider and GS66 Stealth have IPS level displays with a whopping 300Hz refresh rate! Most people will not have a monitor that compares or exceeds the capabilities of the display for the laptop itself. However, a multi-monitor set up can definitely be useful when you want to have a guide up for your game, if you are streaming your game play and need to be able to read chat, or just multi-tasking in general. That's why our new laptops give you the option to connect multiple-monitors to them be it through HDMI, Mini Displayport, or even Thunderbolt 3 depending on the model.

Apr 4, 2020
Though connecting an external monitor to the laptop has its uses, it is certainly not required or necessarily better. For example, top configurations of our new GE66 Raider and GS66 Stealth have IPS level displays with a whopping 300Hz refresh rate! Most people will not have a monitor that compares or exceeds the capabilities of the display for the laptop itself. However, a multi-monitor set up can definitely be useful when you want to have a guide up for your game, if you are streaming your game play and need to be able to read chat, or just multi-tasking in general. That's why our new laptops give you the option to connect multiple-monitors to them be it through HDMI, Mini Displayport, or even Thunderbolt 3 depending on the model.
Ok, sounds good, thanks for the thorough answer. Now I was reading the Titan has 4 fans and a Tower PC chip... would you recommend the Raider or the Titan for someone who games and has to run software like autocad ? I do a lot of steel design for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.