The Nintendo 3DS Gets Disassembled, Pictured

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Too bad it's not as simple as... "oh, look, that's the region locking chip there, just pull it out... there we go, region free."
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]is that an ARM CPU?[/citation]
Indeed, the 3DS has two ARM's.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The thing that baffles me is there is no standard policies on what is 3D.
Looking at the Nintendo 3D, the screen specs looks weak. NO 120Hz refresh rates,etc...
How do they pull off this 3D thing?

hercules

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
@Kcorp2003 You want world wide standard policies good luck with that... If it is horriable we will know soon enough an ninty wont make a cent out of me!

G

@kcorp2003 - The 3ds does not need a 120Hz screen as it it is not switching between the two images with every frame. Both images are displayed at once but the viewing angle is such that each eye is receiving the correct image.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]Too bad it's not as simple as... "oh, look, that's the region locking chip there, just pull it out... there we go, region free."Indeed, the 3DS has two ARM's.[/citation]

dual core or 2 separate CPUS ?

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]The thing that baffles me is there is no standard policies on what is 3D. Looking at the Nintendo 3D, the screen specs looks weak. NO 120Hz refresh rates,etc... How do they pull off this 3D thing?[/citation]
The thing that baffles me is why you're so harsh towards the 3DS. From what I have seen the graphics are much, much better in comparison to all of its predecessors. Take a look at the Youtube video footage showing Resident Evil -- those graphics are better than the Wii's graphics, and that on its own is fantastic considering it is a handheld. The problem today is that a lot of people (not all) look so deeply into the specifications of consoles, cellphones, handheld gaming devices, etc.. that it's almost as if they don't know how to have fun with them. Myself -- sure I look at the specs, but that doesn't deter me from purchasing it.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]tranzz[/nom]2 separate CPUS[/citation]

Uh, no. Check those pics again. There is one CPU. Can't say whether its dual core or not.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
High cost, low battery life, and 3D

factored on top of

a growing army of smartphones which are now universal media and game players

I think Nintendo has failed to shift its strategy to coincide with industry/market changes and the 3DS will fail accordingly.

Im a parent of 3 boys ages 10 - 13 and they all could give a rats rear about a dedicated mobile gaming system like the PSP or Nintendo DS. In fact they have a Nintendo DS and have not touched it in over a year. I asked them this xmas if they were interested in games for it or maybe a PSP and they all very confidently said "No we want a smartphone!!" (no they did not get a smartphone, too young). Out of my boys friends no one wants a dedicated handheld game system anymore they all say they want iphones or androids.

Why waste so much money on a dedicated handheld when you can get a smartphone that does so many more things and plays games? At least Sony seems to be trying to adapt with the upcoming release of their PSP phone.

Get a clue Nintendo!

G

@cknobman

no disrespect but your boys are easily swayed by marketing hype and peer pressure. "a smartphone that does so many more things and plays games" ive yet to see someone qualify this statement, yes i do know a smartphone is very capable but when asked, my tech savy and adult friends what they do with their smartphone the answer always ends up play games.... ive yet to find someone who 'does so many more things' with their smartphone, at least with a dedicated gaming platform they get real buttons and you get to have some mediocre of control over the games they play (seeing as it's a physical media that has to be purchased in general)

You also have to consider the content of games, the polish for the good games on a gaming platform far exceeds that of the smartphone industry at this moment in time, ive yet to see a game on the smartphone which can hold your interest for more then 10 or so minutes, they not like your metal gear, final fantasy, mega man et al, maybe it's an unfair assessment on my behalf but it feels like we're priming our kids for ADHD, kids now a days just dont seem able to focus on a single task for an extended period of time

guess im starting to rant so i'll end it at that

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]StopMeRanting[/nom]@cknobmanno disrespect but your boys are easily swayed by marketing hype and peer pressure. "a smartphone that does so many more things and plays games" ive yet to see someone qualify this statement, yes i do know a smartphone is very capable but when asked, my tech savy and adult friends what they do with their smartphone the answer always ends up play games.... ive yet to find someone who 'does so many more things' with their smartphone, at least with a dedicated gaming platform they get real buttons and you get to have some mediocre of control over the games they play (seeing as it's a physical media that has to be purchased in general)You also have to consider the content of games, the polish for the good games on a gaming platform far exceeds that of the smartphone industry at this moment in time, ive yet to see a game on the smartphone which can hold your interest for more then 10 or so minutes, they not like your metal gear, final fantasy, mega man et al, maybe it's an unfair assessment on my behalf but it feels like we're priming our kids for ADHD, kids now a days just dont seem able to focus on a single task for an extended period of timeguess im starting to rant so i'll end it at that[/citation]

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm a 32yr old Navy veteran, got an Android, and I'm very excited about the 3DS. Those 10-13 yr old kids actually sound a bit typical, and that goes to show the problem with the entire generation. I'd argue that gaming on mobile devices / smartphones is more of a way to pass/waste time; dedicated gaming machines -- PCs, consoles, handhelds -- offer a wide, real gaming experience.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
@stopmeranting
@bonezy

Im am just saying what I have experienced with my own kids and other kids I know.
Have either of you downloaded any games for a smartphone other than crap like angry birds or connect the dots or some other trivial game? Sure there are tons of those but there are also feature rich games. I have many games like racing simulators, rpg's, flight simulators, fighting games, etc..... which are quite extensive and actually offer more than a handheld counterpart. In fact if you have an emulator for your phone you can play any game you want. Sure the physical controls need to be there which is why I pointed out the Sony gaming phone coming out.

My kids want needs hundreds of teaser games because they have no attention, in fact they have a xbox 360 which they play for hours (until I make them get off) and when I let them play with my phone they will play a game like Need for Speed for quite a while.

Point is that the market is shifting and Nintendo is making a gamble on 3D (which is a niche market in itself) and parents dont want to spend huge bucks on a handheld gaming device like that for kids, especially when they dont really have much interest in it.

Windows 7 phones already integrate xbox live games from a console straight to the phone so you can play at home and on the go plus build your achievements. Now you get a mobile gaming device that serves 1000's purposes instead of 1 so where is the value in coughing up $200-$300 for dedicated handheld that is betting on a niche technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.