The Nintendo Direct made me finally cancel my Switch OLED pre-order

Talarous

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
I'd like to start off by saying that I don't think you should buy the Switch OLED Model. I'm sure it's great for someone who doesn't already own a Switch or is buying a second unit for a family, perhaps, but the average Switch player who already has a standard unit of Lite.. it's basically a $350 minor screen upgrade. So I 100% agree they you should have cancelled your pre-order. Save them bones. But...

I couldn't disagree more with how you came to that conclusion. Don't get me wrong. You're entitled to like or dislike whatever games you want, but the argument your present is deliberately misleading and downright disingenuous. You talk about the great offerings of the PS5 and the upcoming hits of Xbox, yet in doing so you specifically mention the ONLY three noteworthy titles that Sony has had this entire year (Returnal, Deathloop and Ratchet & Clank), which are all fairly fun games but one is multiplatform and the other two are literally the only exclusives Sony has had this entire year and one of them isn't even a Sony owned property.

Meanwhile, you reference Microsoft first party titles Halo: Infinite and Forza (also the only two games they have this year) yet you compare it exclusively to games that have already come out on Switch, conveniently only mentioning first party titles, deliberately not mentioning all of them and totally discounting many upcoming titles they have by disparaging the upcoming Mario Party Superstars, acting like it's the only game on the way.

So far this year alone, Nintendo has put out Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (which is a fantastic remaster with added online play and a literal entirely new, open world Mario game that's a damn hallmark title that I hope studios emulate), the hotly anticipated New Pokemon Snap, remakes of both cult classic Japanese-only Famicom titles from the Famicom Detective Club series and a Miitopia remake, a brand new WarioWare game, Mario Golf: Super Rush, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (both those last two being the only ones you acknowledged, and both far better than you insinuated), No More Heroes III and Pokemon Unite.

And that's just MOST of the first party published stuff. The system has also had the best Monster Hunter game ever in Monster Hunter Rise as well as a fabulous JRPG spinoff with Monster Hunter Stories: Wings of Ruin, Disgaea 6, Bravely Default II, Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town, Blaster Master Zero III and many more third party and indie exclusives.

And forthcoming this year are some truly exciting and hotly anticipated games. The first mainline Metroid game in YEARS with Metroid Dread is just weeks away. The duo remake of Advance Wars 1+2. Mario Party Superstars (which looks like the best Mario Party ever made and finally a good entry after the last few duds). Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes. The first new Shin Megami Tensei mainline game on console since the PS2 era with SMTV, which is a an absolutely MASSIVE exclusive. The huge free update to Animal Crossing and the final Smash character can't be understated either. And in terms of success and players this impacts.. just remember that more people own Animal Crossing New Horizons than there are PS5 and Xbox Series X/S players combined, by a HUGE margin. Just saying.

That Direct also specifically helped show off the upcoming 2022 lineup which is just absolutely on fire. It's still over three months away and we already know of over half a dozen huge games coming:

Triangle Strategy
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Breath of the Wild 2
Bayonetta 3
Splatoon 3
Pokemon Legends Arceus
Mario + Rabbids 2
And more...

Very likely to see new Donkey Kong, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem titles as well next year. And possibly more. And that's just from Nintendo. Honestly, it's insane how much the Switch library is blowing the competition out of the water. Literally dozens of exclusives hitting every genre meanwhile the PS5 and Xbox haven't even gotten their originally promised launch titles out a year later.

And just to be clear, I own a PS5. I've actually bought two. I don't regret it. It's a nice speed and storage upgrade to my original PS4. But I also own literally zero PS5 exclusive titles because the only one I think that's worth buying (Ratchet & Clank) still isn't worth it at full price.

It's really not a contest, if you look at it objectively. The Switch has been the best selling console in the world for years and frequently controls literally all ten spots of the best selling software in Japan and most of the spots in the US and UK. Maybe you don't like Zelda, Splatoon, Advance Wars, Pokemon, Mario Party, Shin Megami Tensei, Metroid, WarioWare, Monster Hunter, Bravely Default, etc... but acting like they aren't real games/don't exist as popular, successful products is unbelievable. The concept that the Switch has a problem and has no games is preposterous. It's like saying Taco Bell has no food except a bean burrito and they're not very good, ignoring the rest of the menu as it suits you.

Maybe the real story here is you don't like Nintendo, Nintendo games or the dozens of developers putting out exclusive content for their system. And if that's the case, that's fine. I don't like Halo or Forza. I think they're both bad. I'd take literally any Nintendo Switch title I've mentioned on this list over both of those Microsoft games combined (even WarioWare and I'm not a fan of that series).

Sep 27, 2021
So you wanted more games? I guess you already have all of them don't you? Tbh you lost me when you said skyward sword is not good.

Sep 27, 2021
Just made an account to say this might be the most pointless article I've ever read.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
If you really want to play the banjo series Rare Replay is on gamepass.

It also comes with Perfect Dark (N64) running at 4k60 with HDR and the textures look significantly better than they did on N64 thanks to the resolution bump and none of that weird N64 smear based anti aliasing lol.

Speaking of Xbox... It's not just Halo and Forza. There has been a good amount of exclusive stuff released on gamepass or to buy. Some indie and some AAA but all definitely worth playing. I'm enjoying the hell out of Psychonauts 2 right now.

It looks like their plan is going to end up being 1 exclusive 1st party title a month and I think we kinda saw the start of it in August but with all those studios... They should be able to make it happen.

So you wanted more games? I guess you already have all of them don't you? Tbh you lost me when you said skyward sword is not good.

It's probably the worst game in the main series...

I also get cancelling the order but not because of games. I love OLED too... I bought a 2016 LG C6 and the Cx. It beats LCD in every way. The problem is it's not worth buying a new switch just for the OLED. If they improved the analog sticks and maybe raised the clocks of the X1 I might consider it but otherwise I'll wait for the switch 2.

I don't understand why they didn't raise the clocks. They could raise them in the old models too so they would have the same performance. Nintendo underclocked the X1. I assume they did it for battery life because it doesn't get hot if you max the clocks yourself with a hacked switch. Heck you don't even lose much battery life.. maybe 30 min gets lost from a full charge.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021
Haha what Switch are you playing? I literally can't keep up with all of the games they're putting out.

houndf

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Just wanted to say, as someone who has owned every Nintendo console (except the N64, thanks parents), I got off the Nintendo hype train sometime early summer. Switch was, and currently is, my portable game platform. The lack of the Switch Pro and poor first party releases has done it for me. I'm instead preparing for the Steam Deck to take over early next year as my main portable device.

Nintendo die hard fans will stick with Nintendo no matter what, but I'm going to take a break for awhile.

Talarous

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Speaking of Xbox... It's not just Halo and Forza. There has been a good amount of exclusive stuff released on gamepass or to buy. Some indie and some AAA but all definitely worth playing. I'm enjoying the hell out of Psychonauts 2 right now.

It looks like their plan is going to end up being 1 exclusive 1st party title a month and I think we kinda saw the start of it in August but with all those studios... They should be able to make it happen.

There aren't any exclusives on Xbox, though. Even the first party stuff is at least on PC. Also, Psychonauts 2 is on everything except Switch. I'm not here trying to say Xbox is bad or you're bad for suggesting this, just pointing out facts that conflict with what you said.