The Nintendo Wii U Will Support Two GamePads

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Well, part of the reason is because it's pretty hard to have two touch screens connect to one console and register it. Most games for the Wii U right now feature Wiimotes, Wii pro controllers, and 3DSes as controllers, while there's one guy with the Wii U gamepad doing all the "touch" stuff.

-Catherine Cai

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
That's probably 2 too many in my book. I am not wholly convinced the touch pad adds value. Where do I look the screen or the touchpad? Unless you are playing some kind of strategy game where you can take your time you are going to be taken out pretty quickly.
I could be wrong.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]That's probably 2 too many in my book. I am not wholly convinced the touch pad adds value. Where do I look the screen or the touchpad? Unless you are playing some kind of strategy game where you can take your time you are going to be taken out pretty quickly.I could be wrong.[/citation]

I'm more concerned about the size, DS has already proven a variety of uses for a second/touch screen. I wouldn't mind strat/RPG games first of all. They're throwing out a bucket of possible applications though like chat windows, walkthroughs, maps, and menus. How many games do you have to pull up a menu to equip/select things? Menu's on the screen now, you're actually in the action more because you can just glance down and brush that change into place with your finger without opening a menu on the main screen. One thing I remembered was the various "scanner" overlays in Metroid Prime. Put them on the touch screen now and I wouldn't have to keep flipping them on constantly just to scan things.

This is good news. One of the greatest concerns was when they said it would only support one touchpad, an odd direction for a usually multiplayer based company to go. I guess as long as the hardware is capable they can just offer a firmware update when they feel it's necessary.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
so, can you still use the old nunchucks and suck. The controllers are the best thing about the original Wii and made it fun, despite lacking in graphics. This new controller is total BS. What a piece of crap.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]so, can you still use the old nunchucks and **such.** The controllers are the best thing about the original Wii and made it fun, despite lacking in graphics. This new controller is total BS. What a piece of crap.[/citation]
fixed.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]This console will fail. Mark my words.[/citation]
I remember the naysayers predicting how the original Wii would be epic fail.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
The showed no footage of dual touch pad, making me think that it perhaps doesn't work so well ( or drains too much resources from the system )

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
This article needs to be updated because according to a tweet from Nintendo of Japan when using two of these game pads at the same time it will cut the frame rate in half. The tweet didn't clarify if this was Nintendo being lazy with their own software or if this is a legit hardware issue.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
By gamepad they mean the tablet thingy.

Yes you can use the existing wiimotes and nunchucks with this, along with the pro-controller thingy (semi xbox clone) they just showed off.

I think the support for dual tablet-controllers will be pretty limited/pointless, because the cost on the things is going to have to be 100$+, so nobody is going to put any major features supporting it, therefore very few people will want to buy a second one.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
** but, Nintendo is the king of unused/pointless/unreleased expansions, addons, and hardware. Not necessarily a bad thing, I personally like that they try to be creative, even if you can see the fail from a mile away, at least they are doing something beyond a hardware refresh.
It's why I only own a Wii and a PC. Sure the wii doesn't get used much, but it's got fun exclusives, and can be fun on occasion.
Still unsure if I will spring for the WiiU, I probably will at some point...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]That's probably 2 too many in my book. I am not wholly convinced the touch pad adds value. Where do I look the screen or the touchpad? Unless you are playing some kind of strategy game where you can take your time you are going to be taken out pretty quickly.I could be wrong.[/citation]

ocarina of time, water temple... do i need to say more of the usefulness of a second screen. also look up the zombiu game, that is another great use, and it demos most of the things i really wanted to see done with the tablet.

[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]so, can you still use the old nunchucks and suck. The controllers are the best thing about the original Wii and made it fun, despite lacking in graphics. This new controller is total BS. What a piece of crap.[/citation]

when properly integrated, yea, but most wii games that were about precision, became frustrateing because of the lack of precision. also the battery life... but i blame that on camera in the controler instead of ir on the controller. lol at the move design all you want, but its the better of the 2 controllers as far as control goes.

but i get away from my point... most wii games decended into waggle fests, and thats not fun, at least for me.

[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]I remember the naysayers predicting how the original Wii would be epic fail.[/citation]

but they were both right and wrong.
the console, aside from nintendo first party games, failed the "hardcore" audience completely.
the controls were also SO not suited for a hardcore experience, due to precision being thrown out the window, in favor of waggle fest.

however nay sayers on the wiiu have absolutely NO reason to think the system will fail.
the graphics are better than and current system
the interface, while new, will become second nature so fast that you wonder how you played the games before (think football games and their plays)
and not to mention, if nintendo has even close to a decent online system, and makes it free... xbox will be hurting, along with the ps3
and due to being more powerful than the other 2 consoles, it can receive ports, if not become the console that games are deved for first.
finally, unless you go balls out on the graphics, most of what the next gen will have will probably be physics related, meaning that most of what would make a game hard to play on the wiiu apposed to the next xbox or ps3 could be turned off and save a crap ton of resources, making the games playable on the system.

i see no way that the wiiu would fail, unless microsoft and sony but a sli kepler or 79XX into the systems, which i HIGHLY doubt.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]DjScribbles[/nom]By gamepad they mean the tablet thingy.[/citation]
And they meant it with complete disregard to what whole world is calling gamepad since firste NES controller saw light of the day.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ocarina of time, water temple... do i need to say more of the usefulness of a second screen. also look up the zombiu game, that is another great use, and it demos most of the things i really wanted to see done with the tablet.when properly integrated, yea, but most wii games that were about precision, became frustrateing because of the lack of precision. also the battery life... but i blame that on camera in the controler instead of ir on the controller. lol at the move design all you want, but its the better of the 2 controllers as far as control goes.but i get away from my point... most wii games decended into waggle fests, and thats not fun, at least for me. but they were both right and wrong. the console, aside from nintendo first party games, failed the "hardcore" audience completely.the controls were also SO not suited for a hardcore experience, due to precision being thrown out the window, in favor of waggle fest. however nay sayers on the wiiu have absolutely NO reason to think the system will fail.the graphics are better than and current systemthe interface, while new, will become second nature so fast that you wonder how you played the games before (think football games and their plays)and not to mention, if nintendo has even close to a decent online system, and makes it free... xbox will be hurting, along with the ps3and due to being more powerful than the other 2 consoles, it can receive ports, if not become the console that games are deved for first. finally, unless you go balls out on the graphics, most of what the next gen will have will probably be physics related, meaning that most of what would make a game hard to play on the wiiu apposed to the next xbox or ps3 could be turned off and save a crap ton of resources, making the games playable on the system.i see no way that the wiiu would fail, unless microsoft and sony but a sli kepler or 79XX into the systems, which i HIGHLY doubt.[/citation]
First of all you know squat about consoles. That being said, here's where you are wrong.

Original Wii was generation behind both PS3 and Xbox 360, but because of more natural controls was appealing to everyone, from toddlers to retirees, while Sony and MS were after hard core gamers. New controller is killing that appeal, Nintendo is showing off this new screen thing so much that people are not aware that old controllers work with it. This will hurt sale numbers a lot, just because new thing is big and looks as if very complicated to work with.

Performance of WiiU? On par with PS3 and Xbox 360. No some developers are not spreading rumors that it's much better performing from competition, but that it's a little bit better in some areas but in general on same level.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Hetneo[/nom]First of all you know squat about consoles. That being said, here's where you are wrong.Original Wii was generation behind both PS3 and Xbox 360, but because of more natural controls was appealing to everyone, from toddlers to retirees, while Sony and MS were after hard core gamers. New controller is killing that appeal, Nintendo is showing off this new screen thing so much that people are not aware that old controllers work with it. This will hurt sale numbers a lot, just because new thing is big and looks as if very complicated to work with.Performance of WiiU? On par with PS3 and Xbox 360. No some developers are not spreading rumors that it's much better performing from competition, but that it's a little bit better in some areas but in general on same level.[/citation]

so lets see here, on par with the current consoles at launch... take a look at the launch 360 and ps3 games. now look at the games that came out this year...

from my understanding, the wiiu is handling the games that are on the 360 and ps3 but at actual 720 and 1080p. and it runs the gambit from as good as current to leaps and bounds better, so im taking the road that its better than the current systems, the middle ground.

now... who really things that the wiiu is complicated? and i mean that seriously. what i see is that it looks like a tablet with buttons, and thats from a non gamer prospective. from a gamer, you hjave to be retarded to not see the potential that it has. at worst you get gamers who have a ps3 and a 360 to get the nintendo console, thats good enough for now, but knowing casual people, if they still play the wii, i know enough people who will buy the new iteration of a product even if they dont need it just because its the next one, they will pick the console up regardless.

you also have to see it as a cheap tablet and a gaming system too, most kids want a console, and many want a tablet, to a parent, 2 birds with one stone and it costs less than an ipad.

i cant not see a single way this will realistically fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.