The Pixel 7 Pro just blew away the iPhone 14 Pro — here's why

Oct 8, 2022
I would advise going to Reddit and searching for Pixel Bricked. Every model has many posts about Qualcomm chip failures at the 2 yo 3 year mark. So , if you factor in Costa per year of functional use, Samsung will win. I cannot recommend purchasing the Pixel Brick 7 any model.

smartchange

Prominent
Oct 8, 2022
I don't think counting Reddit posts is necessarily a gauge for reality. And don't you know they don't use Qualcomm chips anymore? Tensor!

Oct 8, 2022
Reddit posts are going to be more reliable than Google sponsored sites, and what's telling is how the bricking issue has been consistent across all Pixel models. Given how Google cared little for durability beyond 2 to 3 years on prior phones, I would probably wait 3 years to see how the Tensor does.

smartchange

Prominent
Oct 8, 2022
Have you ever owned a Pixel? If so, please tell us your anecdote. What evidence, besides anecdotes from Reddit, do you have that "the bricking issue has been consistent across all Pixel models"? Could you please explain for us all what exactly you mean by the "the bricking issue"? And of course you know they are providing five years of updates. If they all break after two years, how will they continue to develop software for those devices? Finally, why is your opinion to wait something to be trusted, especially when you don't provide any credible reasons to support your assertion?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022
Fair question. My experience is precisely the same as others have posted on Reddit. Fully charged Pixel 4xl, working flawlessly for a couple of years, updated to android 13. 3 days later, wake up, it's fully charged, alarm works as expected, android auto works as expected, connects to work wifi as expected, lay it down on desk, 2 hr later pick it up: Brick. Won't charge, won't respond to a known working pixel charger and charger cable. Holding down power 60+ seconds. Nothing. Hold down power and vol down, vol up... doesn't matter. It is a brick. Connect to computer at home, the Qcomm USB thing is seen in device manager but no driver exists that will let you access the memory in the phone. Did a "Find My Device" even after holding down the power button for a couple of minutes. It found it as well as it would find any brick: nada.

This story is repeated numerous times across Pixel 3,4,5 models... and I have seen bricking posts on the 6 along with many problems with the 6, but I did not dive as deeply into those, admittedly. But gosh oh golly gee, I'm sure Google overnight changed their QA policies to magically make their quality so much better with the PixelBrick 6 and 7 after 5 iterations of prior PixelBricks. Most state the issue occurs after 2-3 years, so, if you have income to drop $800 every 2-3 years on a phone, buy this year's PixelBrick. Now, do the same sort of search for "Samsung Bricked" and the posts are far fewer. Heck, Android Authority had a separate article on the Pixel 3 Brick phenom. And yes, you're right. What good is 5 years of updates for a brick? It's not. I'll pass on Pixels. I have never, ever had a phone over the past many years that died like this... all gave warning signs and even then, did not brick so that I could still use them as webcams. No more PixelBricks for me. The Google employees posting here can continue to get them on their discounts, but I'll take a hard pass.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To offer a counter-point. I too have owned 3 different Pixels. Zero issues. About to receive my 4th one and expect it to be as good as the others.

Previous Samsung user, never had any issues with those either. Just prefer the Pixel.

I am certainly not a Google employee, nor do they pay me or provide any discounts.

smartchange

Prominent
Oct 8, 2022
Fair question. My experience is precisely the same as others have posted on Reddit. Fully charged Pixel 4xl, working flawlessly for a couple of years, updated to android 13. 3 days later, wake up, it's fully charged, alarm works as expected, android auto works as expected, connects to work wifi as expected, lay it down on desk, 2 hr later pick it up: Brick. Won't charge, won't respond to a known working pixel charger and charger cable. Holding down power 60+ seconds. Nothing. Hold down power and vol down, vol up... doesn't matter. It is a brick. Connect to computer at home, the Qcomm USB thing is seen in device manager but no driver exists that will let you access the memory in the phone. Did a "Find My Device" even after holding down the power button for a couple of minutes. It found it as well as it would find any brick: nada.

This story is repeated numerous times across Pixel 3,4,5 models... and I have seen bricking posts on the 6 along with many problems with the 6, but I did not dive as deeply into those, admittedly. But gosh oh golly gee, I'm sure Google overnight changed their QA policies to magically make their quality so much better with the PixelBrick 6 and 7 after 5 iterations of prior PixelBricks. Most state the issue occurs after 2-3 years, so, if you have income to drop $800 every 2-3 years on a phone, buy this year's PixelBrick. Now, do the same sort of search for "Samsung Bricked" and the posts are far fewer. Heck, Android Authority had a separate article on the Pixel 3 Brick phenom. And yes, you're right. What good is 5 years of updates for a brick? It's not. I'll pass on Pixels. I have never, ever had a phone over the past many years that died like this... all gave warning signs and even then, did not brick so that I could still use them as webcams. No more PixelBricks for me. The Google employees posting here can continue to get them on their discounts, but I'll take a hard pass.

Oh. If I don't share your opinion, I must be a Google employee, huh? Your post looks a lot more like propaganda than mine. You are not credible at all.