The PS5 price hike is part of a worrying trend

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
The fact that the article writer didn't even MENTION that the price has not been increased in the US, and that the countries that have large price increases all have collapsing dollars, that reflects badly on the writer.

Where is the word "exchange rate" in this article. Nowhere. You should be pointing out that many countries have irresponsible low interest rate high inflation policies and their dollar is collapsing, so they need to pay more to import items that are not made there. PS5 is not made in Japan. The Yen lost almost 30 percent of its value in a few months. That's not normal. Neither should Sony's response.

You want lower prices? Start agitating for change in your government. High interest rates, low government spending, a focus on productivity and investment over empty consumer spending (and consumer spending includes health care and social security, those are not investments that lead to more income), those things can all help.

The US also has bad policies, but it has the dollar. Also even the federal government under Biden and Congress is a sad joke, most of the State governments in the US are actually pretty great compared to your average country.

Aug 29, 2022
Sony and Facebook have jacked prices on the PS5 and the Meta Quest 2, respectively, and everyday consumers have to deal with the fallout.

The PS5 price hike is part of a worrying trend : Read more
As far as the PS5 price hike goes for many consumers, such as myself, it is a moot point. There hasn't been a PS5 for sale in my area for 2 years, and not looking like there will be anytime soon either. I have already decided to forego the PS5 and wait for the PS5 Pro, or 6 when that comes out, which I already figured would cost more than the initial price of the PS5.

Aug 30, 2022
The fact that the writer hasn't even considered that this price hike helps the stores selling these products earn more money proves how little he actually knows about this stuff. With the price for the Quest 2 increasing by $100, most of the stores selling the products also increased their revenue of that product by around $100. As far as I know, Sony and the suppliers didn't increase their revenue by nearly as much as most stores through this price hike.