The Samsung Galaxy S2 Finally Lands in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]We've had these in Canada for a long time now.[/citation]

Damn the FCC and their regulations. I swear everything takes longer to get here because of that crap.

As for the phone, I could have sworn that Verizon was to get a LTE version of the Galaxy S2. That sucks that we wont. Maybe we will get a better version of a newer phone....

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
LMAO! Anybody who follows electronics knows that it's SAMSUNG who is making the Galaxy S II. How can you get this wrong??

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Awesome, have the Captivate for AT&T, as soon as the GS2 drops to $99 new, I'll upgrade. I see no point spending $200 on the newest phone when half have issues and then 2 months later they drop the price.

And alternately, I guess this "Sony Galaxy S2" may also be a new competitor? Or did Sony Buy out Samsung's mobile division now? (Ooh that would suck :p)

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]robertito[/nom]Damn you Verizon.[/citation]

It's not Verizon's fault, it's the design of the phone that uses GSM rather than CDMA. Verizon uses CDMA, which is an older technology. But a phone of this caliber is a disgrace on AT&T's horrible network. I have Verizon and a Samsung Charge. I've clocked my fastest 4G download speeds of 20 Mbps. AT&T's fastest 4G in the country was recorded at a meager 2.5 Mbps. Pretty sad really...

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Man, I would have bought this phone in a heartbeat if it was actually released in the U.S. couple months ago, but now I'm probably going to wait for Nexus Prime with the Android ICS.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Honestly if you currently have a Galaxy S phone... I wouldn't upgrade to this. You won't really notice a big difference to be honest. I have played with many dual core phones, and I wouldn't give up my captivate for any of them.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]Uberragen21[/nom]It's not Verizon's fault, it's the design of the phone that uses GSM rather than CDMA. Verizon uses CDMA, which is an older technology. But a phone of this caliber is a disgrace on AT&T's horrible network. I have Verizon and a Samsung Charge. I've clocked my fastest 4G download speeds of 20 Mbps. AT&T's fastest 4G in the country was recorded at a meager 2.5 Mbps. Pretty sad really...[/citation]

CDMA is not older than GSM, GSM is older. CDMA is cheaper to implement in terms of hardware and can carry in theory more calls with the same equipment. In theory GSM should have provided better call quality and it's also the standard the entire world pretty much adopted. Mind you there was TDMA and AM prior to both standards. In any case, everything is moving to LTE and eventually CDMA and GSM were supposed to converge in later standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.