The Second Coming of Vista: Microsoft Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why is this on Tom's Hardware? This is a user opinion. I think I'm going to find a better tech site to get my news from, one that has proper spelling and good articles.

ogre9001

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I love the way this "article" is put together. It allows the author to make outrageous claims, while absolving him of the requirement to present actual evidence.
As to the claim that Leopard and Vista cannot be compared head to head. Bollocks. As most of Vista's new "improvements" are clearly the result of badly executed attempts to match features that actually work on the Mac, I think we can dismiss that argument right away.
As to the assertion that Vista is "clearly better" than XP at most tasks. I can only say that it is not quite so clear to me. And since I've worked in the I.T. business from lowly helpdesk intern to CIO over the past 26 years, I consider myself a bit of an expert as well.
It will take more than just the personal anecdotes of Rob Enderle and his wife to convince me to believe contrary of something that I observe every day of the week. If any of what he has to say in this article were true, there would no longer be such animosity towards Microsoft for forcing this on the users.
If you want to impress me, tell me that they've decided to spend the 300 million on fixing the problem. It's not news to us that they spend a lot of money marketing crap.

Note to Tom's Guide: If you want to put up an ad, please do it in the proper way, so as to not mislead.

Ogre

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
One important part of Marketing 101 is that you don't attack the smaller guy. Apple can attack MS, but MS shouldn't attack Apple. There's a reason why Pepsi attacks Coke, but you never see Pepsi in Coke ads. Attacking the little guy gives them credibility. If Apple thinks they've fixed Vista, then just focus on Vista. Don't even talk or hint about Apple products.

G

Being an IT guy myself I decided to make the plunge into vista and I have to say I have been very pleased with the results. Sure Im running a nice powerful rig with plenty of ram and vista 64 ultimate but this thing has not given me one problem since I have installed it 5 months ago. So much for the nay sayers. Sure when you put on sub par rigs your gonna run into problems.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Analyst Opinion

You guys obviously missed that, so I thought I'd re-post it down here for you. If you don't want to listen to the opinions of another, you can move along.

I enjoyed the article, and look forward to seeing what MS brings to the table from here. Keep up the good work Enderle.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I enjoyed the article myself, I found it to be honest. I upgrade my hardware once or twice a year so for me Vista was a no brainer. I do not miss XP in any area now, I did at first but I missed win2k after XP first came out. I have found that most peoples complaints about Vista are because they have to upgrade thier tried and true soundblaster that they have had since 1996. I enjoy Leopard as well, it is a great OS! Some of its menu's are a little too akward for my taste but some say the same about Vista, soooo... Just funny how MS is mad.

G

the only people that use macs are arty farty wanks that dont have the brain power to operate windows, very sad , xp is a sh*t tin better than any apple os

G

Two years and SP1 and a tons of patches, finally fighting back... the damage is already done. Balmer should resign.

ogre9001

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Just to be clear about my experiences with Vista. I do not run any substandard hardware. All of my machines are very high end 3d graphics workstations running quad core chips and SLI. We roll in replacement hardware twice a year. The problems we encounter on a daily basis with Vista are not hardware related and just don't happen on XP. If you're only playing games and surfing the net, then I'm happy you're not having problems with Vista. But if you actually need the OS to be stable under some real load, I think your experience will be quite a bit different.
Don't get me wrong, I think Microsoft will get it right eventually, but it's not there yet.
As for the Mac OS, it's not my taste, but it definitely has it's place. Most creative talent (including those who will soon be paid the 300 million to make Vista more palatable in the media) have no need or desire to learn all of the technical information needed to operate a Windows machine safely and effectively. If you've ever had to support these types, you'd be glad that Apple makes an OS just for them.
I was just trying to point out the paid advertisement/analyst opinion for what it was. Please pardon me. I may lack the fanboy gene.

Ogre

G

I can empathize with those who see these analyst opinion articles listed on Tom's home page and are disappointed. I very much enjoy the high quality of Tom's hardware articles and value the detailed data they contain. Having these third party opinion articles share the same page is like finding a happy meal being served at a five star restaurant. I usually avoid them, but obviously I'm a sucker for catchy titles. This one was particularly sparse of any actual information regarding even OS issues, it seems to be just a marketing battle plan opinion article. Yawn.

G

I have been using Vista since it was released. When I first got it all I wanted to do was run back to XP. Now though, patches have fixed almost every issue I've had.

People also seem to forget that one of the biggest reasons Vista was panned was because of lack of drivers. Microsoft can hardly be blamed for this. They gave companies 18(?) months of open beta in which to write them! NVidia and other folk have finally come to the party and things are good.

Excluding the initial lack of support, the user experience in Vista is almost identical to XP, making the 'I don't want to learn Vista' argument void. All Microsoft really did was clean up the UI and add search bars everywhere, for which I am greatful.

They added some toys and improved the included software. Take them of leave them.

At the end of the day, Mircosoft have a new product and are phasing out the old one. EVERY company does that. Can I still buy Tiger? NO! Can I buy the same TV I bought 2 years ago? NO!

If you don't want to spend money on it, don't! Stick with your XP running your DX9 crippled 8800GT. Change to Leopard.... oh, you need to buy new hardware, learn a new UI (which in my opinion is NOT intuitive) and you actually want to use your Windows apps? Use BootCamp and run XP on your Mac! Kinda defeats the point, doesn't it? and on top of all that, you can't customise your hardware after market! .... Run Linux and Wine! oh? Not everything works? and you have to learn a new everything? Sounds a hell of a lot worse than Vista to me!

So, deal with Vista as you will. The fact is if you want the latest things, you need the latest Windows. This is not unreasonable! If you want your new IPod games you need a new IPod. If you want your PS3 Games you need a PS3. It's not rocket science and it's not anything new.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]vista user[/nom]I have been using Vista since it was released. When I first got it all I wanted to do was run back to XP. Now though, patches have fixed almost every issue I've had.People also seem to forget that one of the biggest reasons Vista was panned was because of lack of drivers. Microsoft can hardly be blamed for this. They gave companies 18(?) months of open beta in which to write them! NVidia and other folk have finally come to the party and things are good.Excluding the initial lack of support, the user experience in Vista is almost identical to XP, making the 'I don't want to learn Vista' argument void. All Microsoft really did was clean up the UI and add search bars everywhere, for which I am greatful.They added some toys and improved the included software. Take them of leave them.At the end of the day, Mircosoft have a new product and are phasing out the old one. EVERY company does that. Can I still buy Tiger? NO! Can I buy the same TV I bought 2 years ago? NO!If you don't want to spend money on it, don't! Stick with your XP running your DX9 crippled 8800GT. Change to Leopard.... oh, you need to buy new hardware, learn a new UI (which in my opinion is NOT intuitive) and you actually want to use your Windows apps? Use BootCamp and run XP on your Mac! Kinda defeats the point, doesn't it? and on top of all that, you can't customise your hardware after market! .... Run Linux and Wine! oh? Not everything works? and you have to learn a new everything? Sounds a hell of a lot worse than Vista to me!So, deal with Vista as you will. The fact is if you want the latest things, you need the latest Windows. This is not unreasonable! If you want your new IPod games you need a new IPod. If you want your PS3 Games you need a PS3. It's not rocket science and it's not anything new.[/citation]
My vista experience has been good so far too. Win98 to XP was far worse. as said, most issues where drivers. They had even longer then 18 months to get there act together. That was not Microsoft's fault.

As for Apple. There commercials should not even be legal, blatant lies, misinformation and over claims of what there products do.

I was random web surfing and i can across several forums with mac users with problems(multiple people with the same issues too), so much for it just works.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Someone stated a while back on toms.
My biggest Grief with Vista, is all the people complaining
about stuff that doesnt work, when it works.

As problems with Vista, I have one of the fewest erorr counts
out of anybody i know when I pull up the log. I have had errors,
but never microsoft errors always third party apps.
Age of Conan, has lots of wierd bugs, but they are releasing patches
only a daily basis, as most companies should be doing. But most
dont because of the sheer amount of the cost to give away free
updates after creating, and testing.

Another thing someone posted up above, the main problems is drivers.
And microsoft largely doesnt create them. The BIG PROBLEM WITH VISTA,
wasnt that stuff doesnt work, or even couldnt work. It was companies
not believing Microsoft was going to reach there Hard Launch Date.
Microsoft was like well we are ready, and everyone else was like
WHAT YOUR NOT GOING TO PUSH IT BACK????? Everyone thought they
had more time than they actually did.

My Major problem with Vista isnt even a Vista problem its Companies
not taking advantage of 64bit. Its kinda like XP X64 all over again
except lots of stuff works, only NOTHING takes advantage of it. lol.

Well not everything, but there are lots of programs that are toted
as being 64bit, when they really arent, they are just compatiable.
(Adobe CS3)

dmacfour

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Well I've had enough of the anti-vista BS floating around. Now that hardware companies are starting to release decent drivers, things are more stable.

At college, I hung around many people that hated Vista. It consisted of 1.) Mac users 2.) People who haven't actually used Vista 3.) People running it with integrated graphics, 1gb of ram, and a Celeron processor.

I'm happy that Microsoft is fighting back. I'm getting annoyed at Apples Mac vs. PC ads.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
That's right, don't mention the embedded DRM in Vista, such as the ability of NBC to shut off your OS.

Sssh, let's just keep that quiet and hope people won't notice.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Agree with most here.
Vista 64 runs all my old and new Windows apps. So it's FINALLY better than XP. So M$, please encourage more developers/companies to take advantage of Vista and 64bits! Less boated is always welcome.

About Samsung, notice the G810? Nothing less that kick ass. Looks like Apple will get knocked silly from all sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.