The Smartest USB Connector, Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivan_chess

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
What they should really do is implement it into front panel connectors (motherboard IO panels won't have the space required). It will take to long to convert all devices to use this connector but still a really cool idea.

choz

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Maybe I'm a pessimist but I don't really want a spring and moving parts in a connector that I plug in and out constantly. To me it just increases the likelyhood of accidental damage.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ivan_chess[/nom]What they should really do is implement it into front panel connectors (motherboard IO panels won't have the space required). It will take to long to convert all devices to use this connector but still a really cool idea.[/citation]
there is no conversion. Its just like having 2 usb plugs in one. When you plug in, the un-needed one just slides back out of the way. Its all automatic.
http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/01/25/this-usb-plugs-in-both-ways/

It is funny, this will make people more lazy then ever. This would have been nice right out the gate.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
this makes so much sense. not only does it do what it set out to do... but this looks like it would minimize corrosion too because of so little contact with air on the metal connection parts.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]ivan_chess[/nom]What they should really do is implement it into front panel connectors (motherboard IO panels won't have the space required). It will take to long to convert all devices to use this connector but still a really cool idea.[/citation]
too bad the pack panel is where you need it most.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Sine this would add perhaps 2-3x to the cost for the connector, it may not get wide-spread use. But if a company put it out, sells it for $2-4 over a typical equal quality USB cable... perhaps it'll do well. I'd pay $1-3 extra for a quality cable like that. About $10~14... considering how cheap they are nowadays.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Great, but does it work with USB 3.0?[/citation]
Does it matter? Most devices (keyboard & mouse speakers, webcam, etc.) won't even use USB 3.0 or have any need for it for the next couple years.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Sine this would add perhaps 2-3x to the cost for the connector, it may not get wide-spread use. But if a company put it out, sells it for $2-4 over a typical equal quality USB cable... perhaps it'll do well. I'd pay $1-3 extra for a quality cable like that. About $10~14... considering how cheap they are nowadays.[/citation]
Given that for quality USB cable cost for connector itself is only small part of overall price I don't really see problem.
Some may maybe say that there are no difference between 2$ and 12$ USB cable, which is mostly true but its starting to be important for longer cables and high speed devices, and even more if there are high energy devices close that could interfere.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]There's a picture on the lead to show you which way up to insert it.[/citation]
Only problem is that things you are putting it to doesn't allways have it in correct position so you anyway have to look or try.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
At first glance, this looks brilliant. On further thought though, I'm not so sure. On USB cables that you plug in once and forget (like printer cables), it's no big deal to try it both ways. On things you use often, like thumb drives, the sliding parts would be destroyed by the least amount of grit or even pocket-dust that gets in them. On high-speed USB3.0 devices, the added complexity in the connector would probably introduce noise that would cause the cable to fail to meet required specifications. My final answer is, this is a solution in search of a problem.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i have a better idea.. keep people who aren't capable of using technology away from computers... seriously... this is a solution looking for a problem, look at the board, look at the plug, see which end goes in right and bam pluged in... this saves a few seconds but adds another possible fail point in the device when the sliders get jammed

G

This is brilliant and I cannot believe no one thought of it before now. It definitely needs to be applied to USB 3 cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.