the speaker on my moto 3 does not make a sound

Jan 3, 2019
My Moto 3 doesn't ring anymore. I have disabled things like Do Not Disturb and have the volume set to max. When I select a ring tone, you don't hear it. I have to detect an incoming call or text message from the vibration. One solution when I am in my office, I plug a speaker into the earphone jack and now I can hear a ding when a message comes. That's not a solution when I am walking around with the phone.

Solution
Well if you want a more 'attention getting' ringtone you can always download something louder and less common. There are many sites where you can get them from, for free. Personally I like Zedge.net
First go into "Settings" and then "Sounds". Make sure you are set to use a ringtone that came with the phone (to avoid other issues) and check the volume levels for all sounds. Then restart (turn off and back on) the phone and see if it works.

If it still continues to not work, then try starting up the phone in "Safe Mode" and see if the ringtones work in there. Again only the ringtones included with the phone, not any you may have added. If it works while in "Safe Mode" then there is something on the phone interfering. Bad app, virus, malware, etc. If it doesn't work in there either, then there may be an issue with the phone that will either require a "Hard Reset" or having it looked at for software issues.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the phone.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Jan 3, 2019
My speaker suddenly started working without me trying any of what you suggested and I don't know why. You suggested that I use one of the ring tones that came with the phone. I want to do that but I can't figure out how to do it. I am offered 9 different tones (Rasalas, Scarabaeus...Zeta). None of these are a pure ring that would be command my attention when a text message or call comes in. I wonder if my phone was maxed out with apps.

The built-in Google apps seem to take up half of the 8 gb that comes with the phone and can't be deleted.
Thanks for the suggestions.