The Train That Literally Never Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I had a very similar idea to this, but for cars.

On the motorway, if every car had a computer which was connected to each other wirelessly, there would never be traffic jams, as warnings would be sent out and cars made to divert to other lanes.

Imagine if all you had to do on a motorway (freeway) was click connect to the next car infront, and wait for your exit.

Too bad this kind of thing would be impossible to impliment on a large scale.

Where are my superior electric cars!?

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Not bad. Cruising is the most-efficient state, acceleration uses the most energy. Saving time and energy is a good deal. Now making it so it doesn't kill everyone...

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
When I read the title "train that never stops (from China)", I thought they had a jumping (or throw-off) platform)! LOL

“A train that can continue moving also won't waste energy on regular stops.”

Uhmm… the detaching & attaching parts of the train will waste energy as they decelerate & decelerate. only less as the system is optimized so only full cabins stop. It’s a cool concept except it works best if all stations have similar numbers of passengers. What happens at main hubs where 50% or more passengers need to transition?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Complicated but sounds better than all the "personal" mass transit schemes so far. At least this one promises to save energy rather than everyone having their own maglev pod.

G

Well, I don't know how original this idea is. I was discussing with my friend a few days ago, and he has the exactly the same idea, which was dismissed by me for the complicity of the whole system.

G

i think the concept works if each 'cabin' is an individual small train that can accelerate/decelerate.. then when it reach certain speed, it attach to 'mother train' for cruise mode to conserve energy.

but this does sound a bit sci-fi and i hope the chinese can finish building the ark for 2012 first before going for project.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]China, reinventing the railway system, good luck![/citation]
What you have to realise is China is now nouvea-riche in a tech-laden era. As a result some of the many sky-scrapers springing up everyday in China and infrastructure such as rail networks incorporate very latest tech which you don't find say in the US yet, which had rail networks built a hundred years ago.
Oh and take a look closely at your iPhones, LCD TVs, notebooks, digital cams and guess how many of them were made in China?

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
[citation][nom]TemjinGold[/nom]What happens when one of these needs to get serviced?[/citation]
frightened repairmen

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
(Why is text in grey, BigUser1090?)

Watch the video, it makes more sense... China is doing what the USA cant... innovate. Look how hard it is for us to build a single bullet train? We have a semi-bullet train with the Amtrack NEC, but thats about it. In Japan, their bullet trains are perfect. Trains stop within centimeters of the mark. No fatalities after 60 years.

I have a question... how does that 2nd-level -connector cabin- effect aerodynamics of the train? While it saves time... how does the maintenance and extra weight come into play?

How is safety? It would be bad if there is an exchange error in which the connector cars crash. But overall, the design is actually simple and should be safe.

domenic:

If the train only needs to slow down from 200MPH down to 50MPH, its takes very little energy to get back up to 200MPH. Also, its less wear and tear on the brakes. It also saves energy by not sitting idle for 5minutes while passengers get on/off.

Your question about major HUBS, thats easy. The train stops.
Major HUBs are rare and they are usually at the ENDs and a major stop. In my city, the MOST people that get off are at the end of the lines and downtown. The light rail I ride is about 20 stops... and sometimes its a bit of a rush trying to get on or off with kids or elderly.

In China where such trains are running... which is vast, it makes a lot of sense.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]TemjinGold[/nom]What happens when one of these needs to get serviced?[/citation]

Repairmen are shot out of cannons to match the speed of the train.

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]domenic: If the train only needs to slow down from 200MPH down to 50MPH, its takes very little energy to get back up to 200MPH. Also, its less wear and tear on the brakes. It also saves energy by not sitting idle for 5minutes while passengers get on/off.[/citation]

Obviously, it depends on the weight of the section being picked up. At some point it becomes inefficient. But I agree, it has potential to save energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.