The Truck that Doesn't Need a Driver (Just a Sitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Even batter, it's made of Unobtanium and uses FIVE flux capacitors!

I propose you make a new site called "Tom's Unworkable Concept Guide" and post all these we-are-nowhere-close-to-making-this garbage there.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Be careful, unobtanium was found on Pandora and we all know how that turned out. Score one for the blue guys!

Now if only I could move through time to build it from transparent aluminum.....Mr. Scott. Report!!!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't think they quite understand how much energy is needed to haul a few tons of freight. There is a reason we use oil in it, and its because its the 2nd most potent form of heat generation out of a fuel.
There are a few reasons we do things with trucks that I don't think they took into consideration. Trucks use trailers so they are easily detachable and can be swapped along with reducing weight the there is no haul. Adding hydrolics to a fixed cargo area adds weight in requires more energy to get into motion. We also use many geared boxes to reduce the amount of oil the system can consume.

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Be careful, unobtanium was found on Pandora and we all know how that turned out. Score one for the blue guys!Now if only I could move through time to build it from transparent aluminum.....Mr. Scott. Report!!![/citation]

We know the blue guys are all going to be firebombed from space then they will go in and pick up the rocks no problem.

G

THis stuff is ridiculous. If I draw a picture of a flying car that flys itself that runs on solar power as a concept will it get on this site? It is as likely as this truck, just because someone had an idea and drew a picture it doesnt make it news worthy. This is the sorta thing a 5 year old would come up with, although his drawing may not look as good.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
As if staying awake on long trucking runs wasn't hard enough, now your chilling in a chair watching a movie right after a bacon and egg breakfast while the truck drives itself.........sign me up!!!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
We sorta have the technology to do this today, Just embed OLED into a transparent glass canvas (or visor) for the screen, rotating cab using regular motors, and for resizing that's the hard part. Maybe it could use sliders before the wheels like a cabinet drawer and the "Curtain" that protects the good could be a thick rubber flexible seal of sorts?

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
The main problem with this is that no one will want to drive on the same road with this thing. Even though we know that a computer is capable of handling a truck on the road, it'll still scare alot of people. and that'll lead to it being illegal in many places solely due to the fear factor

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Even batter, it's made of Unobtanium and uses FIVE flux capacitors!I propose you make a new site called "Tom's Unworkable Concept Guide" and post all these we-are-nowhere-close-to-making-this garbage there.[/citation]
LOL...the articles lately have all been concepts, just no new tech atm obviously

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]micky_lund[/nom]LOL...the articles lately have all been concepts, just no new tech atm obviously[/citation]

It is technology waiting to happen.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Even batter, it's made of Unobtanium and uses FIVE flux capacitors!I propose you make a new site called "Tom's Unworkable Concept Guide" and post all these we-are-nowhere-close-to-making-this garbage there.[/citation]
Sure, it won't happen, but part of the point of a concept is to imagine what's possible.
This thing is badass and awesome. I'd go get the proper license just to sit in the cockpit of that baby.
I also beleieve we could automate driving, and have a override n the event tht something happens. I'd love to seean entire city of 1,000,000 people giveit a test run (RFID, GPS, some godly programming, cloud computing to communicate with all other vehicles in the city and plan routes around it constantly making changes whenever a opportunity arises etc.).

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Be careful, unobtanium was found on Pandora and we all know how that turned out. Score one for the blue guys!Now if only I could move through time to build it from transparent aluminum.....Mr. Scott. Report!!![/citation]
transparent aluminum is real. There is an article on Tom's about 2 years back talking about it. It is more like aluminum glass but it is a lot stronger than regular glass.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Am I the only one that thinks of 'The Core' when they think of Unobtanium (and not that crappy Avatar movie)?

Status
Not open for further replies.