The WJE168 Turntable You've Never Seen Before

Status
Not open for further replies.

polly the parrot

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
"I have 5,000 songs on my Zune, how many songs do you have on that overpriced black thing of yours?"

"Uhhh..."

------

If the turntables were made by Apple, everybody would be asking to take out a loan for 41,000.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Those vinyl people are sure funny! The insistence on a degradable medium—records lose their audio quality little by little every time they're played—has always been personally amusing. Why pass up on the consistency of digitally-encoded audio?

That's like saying "why choose a 1967 Ford Mustang instead of a 2010 Ford Mustang?"

Not that I'm one of "those vinyl people", but there is something special about listening to an old vinyl record. The scratches and the background noise makes the whole thing sound special.
Same as driving an old 1967 Mustang.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]That's like saying "why choose a 1967 Ford Mustang instead of a 2010 Ford Mustang?"Not that I'm one of "those vinyl people", but there is something special about listening to an old vinyl record. The scratches and the background noise makes the whole thing sound special.Same as driving an old 1967 Mustang.[/citation]

It's not just about the "something special," though. Vinyl records (without scratchy imperfections) have something in their audio quality that's just plain pleasing to the human ear. It has a soft warmness and fullness to the sound that they produce that digital audio can't quite match.

crazybaldhead

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Those vinyl people are sure funny! The insistence on a degradable medium—records lose their audio quality little by little every time they're played—has always been personally amusing. Why pass up on the consistency of digitally-encoded audio?

Whatever happened to "unopinionated journalism", mr. Rico?

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]It's not just about the "something special," though. Vinyl records (without scratchy imperfections) have something in their audio quality that's just plain pleasing to the human ear. It has a soft warmness and fullness to the sound that they produce that digital audio can't quite match.[/citation]

Sounds to me like there is "something special" after all ;) I know what you mean, and that's what I was trying to get at.

G

FYI the point of 'cartridge distortion' is that as the arm moves across the album, the angle of the cartridge relative to the grooves is not constant. The longer the arm, the more parallel the cartridge will be with the groove over a larger portion of the album. Remember the short-lived record players that had arms the moved completely laterally? OK, maybe most folks don't...showing my age.

Mosswalker

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]It's not just about the "something special," though. Vinyl records (without scratchy imperfections) have something in their audio quality that's just plain pleasing to the human ear. It has a soft warmness and fullness to the sound that they produce that digital audio can't quite match.[/citation]

That something is near 0 compression if the studio is still running tape. Digital is all compression and our brains can tell. DOubters can flame all they want but thats the facts jack. Listen to a recording of instruments in the studio and then get your hands on it once it hits a disk. BIG difference. BD is supposedly going to fix this as it can actually hold nearly as much audio information as a 12" vinyl record. We will see.

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]pgd4lmd[/nom]FYI the point of 'cartridge distortion' is that as the arm moves across the album, the angle of the cartridge relative to the grooves is not constant. The longer the arm, the more parallel the cartridge will be with the groove over a larger portion of the album. Remember the short-lived record players that had arms the moved completely laterally? OK, maybe most folks don't...showing my age.[/citation]

Yep, not only remember, but I still have a B&O Beogram TX Tangential Arm turntable with both a MMC1 and MMC2 cart. Most common turntables are the radial arm type that is anchored on one end and pivots. The Tangential Arm type moves laterally as you put it so as to keep the tip and cantilever parallel to the grove as it moves from the outside to the inside groves and more or less the same pressure and angle on both sides of the walls of the groves vs radial.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Thats why some people like me buy all our music (that we can) in flac from masters. THAT sir is the best quality you can have.

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]yay[/nom]Thats why some people like me buy all our music (that we can) in flac from masters. THAT sir is the best quality you can have.[/citation]

There are many though who love the straight analog sound through and through. Analog source, analog amp and of course analog reproduction. And even with a "normal" system today, vinyl sounds great, it just has a pleasing sound to it.

I like my vinyl, but I certainly don't shun digital either - where do you buy your flacs that are straight from the masters. And how are the masters converted to digital, is it CD quality, sacd, bluray? multichannel, stereo?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
A house my family bought 13-14 years ago came with a turntable and a couple dozen records.
Never even turned it own for the years we had it. :)

If you excuse me, I'm going to pick up a 32GB Cowon S9, Sony MDR-V6, and fill it with 1000bit FLACs.

spicerj

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
The comment above about 'compression' is not completely accurate. It is actually detail loss because analog audio is a continuous signal while digital is sampled for quantitization. It is thought (and sometimes demonstratable) that subtle sound cues are lost because the original CD standard didn't have enough samples to capture them. It was never dynamic range, as even 14-bit audio has way more dynamic range that analog equipment even with noise reduction. Blu-Ray, like DVD-Audio and SACD, try to rectify this with higher sampling rates and sample bit depths (24 bit, 96KHx specs, for example) but if the studio doesn't use it well (for example, don't REALLY compress the crap out of it and poke the bass to the moon like so many "remasters" do) analog will still win.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]"I have 5,000 songs on my Zune, how many songs do you have on that overpriced black thing of yours?""Uhhh..."------If the turntables were made by Apple, everybody would be asking to take out a loan for 41,000.[/citation]
why would apple charge 41,000. try soemthing more realistic like 82,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.