The World's Fastest Off-the-Shelf RC Car Can Hit 100 MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

theuniquegamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
What 0 to 60 at 2.3sec faster than buggati veryon 16.4 suppersport and 0 to 100 under 4.9sec is faster than every thing else on road. How is the mpge(mpg equivalent for electric vehicles)? Is there any airbags? I want one of these.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]theuniquegamer[/nom]What 0 to 60 at 2.3sec faster than buggati veryon 16.4 suppersport and 0 to 100 under 4.9sec is faster than every thing else on road. How is the mpge(mpg equivalent for electric vehicles)? Is there any airbags? I want one of these.[/citation]
xD Air bags, cup holder, power windows...Its got it all Bro!

G

"Perhaps try watts instead" - Are you KIDDING ? It couldn’t be 1,650 kW (1.65 MW; about 2,000 brake horsepower), either.

We are also told (and this part is entirely reasonable) that it has batteries of 5000 mAh (5 amp-hour). 5 Ah at that voltage, would equate to a truly astonishing 8,250 kWh of energy.

The required clearances for safety on a 1,650 kV (i.e. 1.65 million volt) supply when associated with non-trivial current / finite internal resistance, would be about 20 feet between each exposed connector. In Britain our highest overhead Supergrid voltage is 400 kV.

The motor statistic cited is utter nonsense. However, it is entirely credible - and likely 0 that the motor could be 1,650 WATTS (about two brake horsepower). (1650 W).

sbuckler

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
I bet it also does 100 to 0, $1100 to 0, and 1 car to 1000 tiny pieces in 0.001 seconds - the first time you crash it into something solid.

G

"Gas" or Nitromethane/Diesel mix RC cars have been able to hit 100+ MPH for years.

In any case, if someone were to scale-up this thing up so that it could be driven it would probably be too heavy (mostly from the weight of the batteries) to achieve identical performance numbers. It would probably better off with a series-hybrid setup where an engine (a small diesel in this case) turns a generator/alternator and only the motor(s) drives the wheels. Diesel-electric trains and the BIG Komatsu dump trucks have used something similar, though scaled up, for years.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel-electric_train#Diesel-electric )
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komatsu_960E )

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Kv stands for revolutions per volt.

We were somewhat surprised to see that this is not a gas-powered, but an electric RC car.

Elictric motors can be several times more powerful than traditional combustion engines meant to propel the same vehicle or craft. And not only that - try to stop an electric motor and it will inherently raise the power output while a combustion engine will drop. And off course an electric motor gives instant torque. Combine these two facts and you'll have a machine that can accelerate far beyond the capabilities of a combustion engine.
The stock motor for my traxxas e-revo generates about 5 horsepowers from a standstill. Time it right and the car will perform (almost) two whole backflips. The stock combustion engine for the same car generates almost a horsepower at the top of its power band but much less from a standstill or during the beginning of an acceleration. Sometimes that car won't even wheelie.

My biggest rc helicopter will generate 3.5 horsepowers with the combustion engine installed. I'm using electric though and that gives me about 10 horsepowers. Even more powerful motors for this size exist.
The combustion version is quite powerful but will lose power when ever you strain it too much until the engine get a chance to rev up again. The electric version is the oposite - the more you strain it the more power it ads. The power can become absolutely unreal at times. Like comparing a firecracker to a stick of dynamite... almost.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Stampede here, tuned to go about 50mph right now. They are crazy fast. Cheap build, but also cheap to fix. Lotsa fun if you have a place to play with them.

draxssab

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
kV = kiloVolts
Kv = Revolutions per Volt

So here, with 2x 3 cells batteries (LiPo for sure), we'v got 2(3x3.7V) = 22.2V of supply x 1650Kv, the motor turns at 36630 RPM at max power, but it do NOT give the power of the motor, that would be given by the current passing trough the motor at full power.

In the RC world, 1650Kv is not impressive at all, it's even on the low side for this size. I guess the motor is more on the torque side, for the quite nice acceleration.
100MPH is also not that impressive on On-Road RC, but was only possible with aftermarket motors before I admit.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]paul mott[/nom]"Perhaps try watts instead" - Are you KIDDING ? It couldn’t be 1,650 kW (1.65 MW; about 2,000 brake horsepower), either. We are also told (and this part is entirely reasonable) that it has batteries of 5000 mAh (5 amp-hour). 5 Ah at that voltage, would equate to a truly astonishing 8,250 kWh of energy. The required clearances for safety on a 1,650 kV (i.e. 1.65 million volt) supply when associated with non-trivial current / finite internal resistance, would be about 20 feet between each exposed connector. In Britain our highest overhead Supergrid voltage is 400 kV. The motor statistic cited is utter nonsense. However, it is entirely credible - and likely 0 that the motor could be 1,650 WATTS (about two brake horsepower). (1650 W).[/citation]
Look up the difference between Kv and kV, they are not the same thing.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Some of the comments on here make me shake my head... you have no idea what you're talking about yet have to take the time to make a comment on a public forum... yes it happens all the time because everyone is an internet expert.

As previously stated kV is completely different from what most people think it is. The article should have pointed out that the batteries are lipos which are 3.7v nominal and 4.2v when fully charged but under load drop back down to around 4v.

100mph is stupid fast and I'm glad this is so expensive since most won't be able to afford it and therefore won't be doing dumb sh!t with.

The fact that "nitro" powered cars could hit 100mph for "years"... well they didn't do it in under 5 seconds that's for sure. Electric has been doing it for years as well and the RC on road land speed record has been held by a modified electric for the last few years.

It is a good accomplishment for Traxxas though, kind of like Dodge's Viper, do it just so you can prove you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.