The Xbox 360 Will Win the Console Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Regardless I won't ever buy and XBOX. Maybe if they added blue-ray and it was free to play online I might consider it, but even then all the games I have a desire to play are already on my PC and PS3.

tgsa

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I don't see how Microsoft will come out on top. A couple of weeks ago I was at a Gamestop and the only console that wasn't sold out was the 360. Although I can admit I have a bias to the PS3, I do believe there are quite a few pros to the 360, but I don't see it as offering as much the PS3 does. Nor do I like the additional expenses of the peripherals. Is it still about $100 for the 20gb hard drive? Also, with all the prior failures that the 360 had, does that not distort the NPD numbers?

Personally I liked the first Xbox, but was extremely disappointed with the 360. I guess I'd just wish Microsoft did a better job with it and not rushed it to the market.

G

How many of the 20 million Xbox units are replacements for ones that failed with the RROD? I would bet around 30%...

xenogen

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
The X-box is nothing more than a cheap, mini computer that lacks proper cooling, and is a HD format looser to Blu-ray. No wonder why there is more sales for X-Box when it has to be replaced when it breaks after the warranty. But there are a lot of titles made for PC/X-box that when compared to PS3 format, just plain have better graphics with games at a cheaper price. My suggestion, buy a new Radeon 5890 or Geforce 480 and cry when you see what you have been missing out on.

Hovaucf

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
The article isn't about number of consoles sold, it's about where each console is trending and he believes that the 360 is heading in the right direction. If Natal does work as promised then I believe it will have a decent impact, based on the numbers the Wii is starting to slump, and the PS3 is doing ok but that "Move" controller looks retarded hopefully it works better than it looks.

ream

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
USA sales never tell the quality of the console. Those boys are more testosterone halo driven. I understand playing fps games with mouse, but with a controller, it really reflects amateur US gaming.

Do you have European sales stats and market share? I expect them to be, even if only slightly, different.

Adidaz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Why do I prefer PS3 over XBOX360 ?

Cause its cheaper and it got free online gaming ...

If you gonna say well xbox360 sells for 149$ thats just bare bone after that you need wi fi hdd thats plus 200$ also subscription to xbox live 50$ or 60$ that goes to 400$ and here in Canada I can get ps3 with everything for 299$ ...

I will never buy xbox360 even if it was last console on earth every game is over hyped even system itself ...m$ got lots of cash thats why everyone is positive about xbox360 MONEY MONEY and lots of money ;)

I own PS3 and PC ....wonder how much would xbox360 cost if they add blue ray to it lol

tgsa

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
True, it's not about numbers sold, but the statistic presented in the article could be misleading. The 360 still has many good games and a few more to come out, but I don't think that will drive its sales. I know a few 360 owners who want nothing more to do with the console. I don't think Natal will drive more sales either, since most people have the Wii and that's good enough for the casual gamers (not to mention the lack of having a controller). I think the Move controller would be better than the Wii's controller and might actually be enjoyed by actual gamers, as long as Sony implements it correctly and it doesn't have the delay the Wii's controller does.

But, this is just my opinion and experiences. I know there are a lot of people who like the 360 more and wouldn't touch a PS3. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens closer to the end of they year. I think it'll be based more on the developers and if they can do anything innovative with the technology.

Adidaz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
They are just guessing, maybe this ,probably that, one day ,could be ...well truth is Nintendo is at top now, we do not know whats gonna happen later, I am not Nostradamus but guessing is good end of world is near so is xbox360 lol

Hovaucf

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I wonder how much money Sony is losing to the cost of running PSN and not charging. Xbox Live is usually $30-$40 on amazon, and let's be honest people pay $15/month to play an MMO but people complain about $4.17/month to play all their console games online? Additionally playing online over wifi is a terrible idea so that's a terrible complaint, as wired connection will always be superior in performance. Lastly if you're going to quote prices on MS products at least be accurate or state other currency.

G

i dont know if i agree with your analysis, your part on the ps3 motion controller shows a great lack of knowledge surrounding the area.

"Oh, wait, I forgot the light bulb on top of the controller that shows you unmistakably…well, I don’t really know what. Perhaps if you have four players in a game and you want to know whom you are beating up, this might be interesting, but other than that, it is a useless feature wrapped into a hideous product design"

if you were to do a tad bit of research into how the damn thing works then maybe you'd have a better chance at retaining some credibility.

i do however agree with the fact that microsoft will be able to sell natal very well with the right marketting. the technology is impressive and can lead to a lot of fun family type games. That being said, sony know what their doing. it wont take a few google searches to show you that sony could have persued controller-less technology if they wanted (seeing as they were working with the israeli company that owns the technology before microsoft bought them).

richard marks explains how sony found that the natal type technology, while its impressive, won't offer a varied gaming experience as will one with buttons.

natal is at risk of going the way of the wii. its great and gimicky at first because its new, but without adequate software support it will start to die down eventually. thats the big problem with casual gaming markets, a lot of the games are very similar and you only need a few of them to get you through the social gatherings or to entertain kids, and developers will not make a lot of money from them.

where i think sony succeeds is that they have strong developer support(36 third party developers) and have already demoed their abilty to not only provide casual party games but also hardcore titles(socom and gran turismo).

i was really dissapointed when i read your article, it seemed as if you didn't really know much about the topics you brought up i.e natal and move (granted there hasn't been much on natal) but please next time you sit down to right a piece, spend 15 minutes on google to at least have some knowledge. (wow my second google plug-in, you'd think they pay me)

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
That's all fine on paper in an article but I'm considering selling my 360 boxes and maybe even much of my other gear. PC is the only thing anyone needs. You browse the web on it, you game on it.... xbox360 has a few exclusives but not enough to hold my interest and Wii although it can get old has better exclusives than 360.. might just hang onto that one. I have many xbox360 games and I don't ever play it. When was the last time I even turned it on.

G

and I wonder if the popularity of iphone/itouch/ipad/ixxx app store along with the rise of social network apps from zynga makes the whole fight btw nintendo/msft/sne moot?

Status
Not open for further replies.