These Are the Top 10 Most Fuel Efficient Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

However if you look at longer trips, hybrids will not do as well. So the type of driving you do is become a important factor is choosing a car.

dopeydog

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
lol haha, in England we have something known as DIESEL!!! BMW 320d gets 39/57 yet does 0-60 in 7.6s, 143mph and isn't some horrible econobox

G

WOW.. this author is either 1) Ignorant 2) Paid off.. or 3) both..

my 2001 Jetta TDI still pumps out 45 city/50 freeway
the latest TDI models also perform to this level after the engine break-in period.. yes.. Diesel is, in general, more economical than these "American" green machines.. but ignored because they are not "hybrid"..

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
i think bmw just released a car here in the US too that is diesel based. the problem with any of these cars is maintenance. Gotta get rid of them before they start effing up and the batteries start dying... so you are back to square one simply because you ha\/e to dri\/e a prius 42k miles before the "carbon debt" wears off, most people that buy them tend to get rid of them at that point or shortly after. What we really need is to quit promoting these wussy cars and show the public some performance \/ehicles that run on hydrogen, that'll get e\/eryone pumped and pushing for the switch.

G

Yes but in England you have bigger gallons and a different method for computing mpg. Also the Jetta Diesel is not on this list for whatever reason, I believe it gets 30/41.

G

Yes, Where are the diesels?!?! I drive a 2010 Jetta TDI thats rated 41/30. That definitely puts it in the top 5. Include the TDI versions of the Golf and Audi A3 and there's three diesels sold in the US that belong on this list.

G

Resale value? when you drive a car for 10+ years you don't normally expect to have one of thous when all is said and done.

But it is good to see how well the home team is doing, can't wait to see the next gen Ford hybrids.

-Gabe, From the shadow of the glass palace.

Disclaimer, i live in the Detroit area, and am the son of 3 generations of autoworkers.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
interesting numbers.
My old VW Deisel got 45 city, 55 highway.
And it was built in 1980.

That will probably be my next vehicle if i can find a way to buy one here in CA

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The article may have looked at MPG of only gasoline-burning vehicles. That would have excuded [bio]diesel. After all, no pure electrics were there either, like Tesla.
The article wasn't wrong, just incomplete.
I'll keep my Elantra Touring. I'm getting about 28mpg and I can fit a couple of Catrikes into it.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Not surprisingly, the reigning champion Toyota Prius tops the charts once again with an EPA rating of with 51/48 mpg city/highway.

Either this is one very strange car or the words city and highway need to be switched.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]Either this is one very strange car or the words city and highway need to be switched.[/citation]

ah, crap. Forgive my moment of stupidity. :) They use the batteries in the city.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
What about Diesel? There are probably 10 Diesel cars that outperform the Prius by a long shot. But then again we don't REALLY care about MPG we only care about "hybrids." I got a hybrid Hummer, go earth!

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
The Jetta isn't on there because they're ranked on City milage first. Jetta TDI pulls in about 30 City. The lowest rating on the chart is 32MPG by the Lexus. Simple maths, ppl.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
My horse does 1 mile per 0 gallon. 1/0 = infinity. Beat that for fuel efficiency! But seriously, what are the sizes of the cars listed? Small cars i presume should be more fuel efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS