Thief's SUV Gets Gas Pedal Disabled by OnStar

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Finally a solid, well written, concise and to the point article! Good story![/citation]

Don't know whether I should be insulted or pleased...

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
OWND!

And seriously people, if someone points any kind of gun at you, just give them your keys, wallet, or whatever. It's just not worth it.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It's not Big Brother. Its Big Corporate. The guy had to give the police permission to use OnStar to track the car. However, no one ever said GM wasn't using OnStar to track every one of their cars at all times. Who knows what GM is doing with all that data. Maybe they'll find a way to revoke your warranty or something based on how you've driven your car, or that fact you regularly go 3001 miles between oil changes instead of 3000 miles.

Of course, I'm assuming that all those domestic spying laws signed in by Bush and Obama don't cover OnStar access. Otherwise the CIA is already tracking these vehicles for us.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
If they really want to track you they would just use your cell phone. So being all scandalized by OnStar is ridiculous since you're already fully trackable.

Personnally, I think its pretty sweet that they can recover a stolen vehicle that way. If more vehicles had this it would make car thieves think twice before they went running off.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
That Ruiz cousin is either very brave or very stupid. With a sawn-off shutgun pointed at my face, i'd give the thief my keys and gas money too!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Ominous Prime[/nom]He refused to comply with a sawn off shotgun in his face? Damn, I think I'd start crying if someone pointed a gun at me.[/citation]

I think I'd probably pee a little, then cry.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
You people have been reading too much 1984. This ain't Big Brother. You pay extra to get the OnStar in your vehicle. They aid you in car crashes and emergencies. If you are the legal owner of that car, you don't have to worry about "Big Brother." But if you are this thief, then ya, you do. So moral of the story is: Grand theft auto is a crime.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]OWND!And seriously people, if someone points any kind of gun at you, just give them your keys, wallet, or whatever. It's just not worth it.[/citation]

after you give them your wallet and stuff, when they are walking away, pull out your gun and shoot them in the back them take everything they have on them and drive away :)

anyway onstar is good for situations like this but this feature can be prevented if the criminal has a cellphone jammer in the car with them

a better solution would be also have a special rf receiver and a device where the car owner can give police the code to also shut off the car when in range, great backup if the criminal has a cellphone jammer.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I think I'd probably pee a little, then cry.[/citation]
That's a brilliant idea! Who'd want to steal a car impregnated with pee?! Yucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.