Thieves Steal 6,000 Copies of MW3 in Truck Robbery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Ya, it's sounds like peeps are acting out the COD in real live to get COD MW3 tear gas and stuff. For a game. I wonder if EBAY Paris has the game on sale. lol

peanutsrevenge

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]It is obvious that some folks fail to realize this is simply a game. What the heck is the big rush?[/citation]

Stealing 6000 copies makes a lot of sense, they'll be able to sell them. That's what thieves do btw.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I don't play games but I'm assuming they come with a product key. Block the keys.[/citation]
True. With the keys blocked it was nothing but a 6000+ piece frisbee heist.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I don't play games but I'm assuming they come with a product key. Block the keys.[/citation]
They do, but the problem is that no one probably knows which codes were used for those 6,000 codes. Plus how do you explain to the consumers that buy the product thinking it may have been a legitimate purchase and finding out that they just lost all of their cash. Remember someone could pay a thousand bucks or w.e to have a small kiosk or rent a store front for a week and make it look legit, charge the retail price and make a killing. Even if it cost them 20 grand to rent and decorate some kind of store they would still make over 300k.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'd imagine they'll be able to get at least $120,000 for those copies. Not a bad haul. As for the game itself... whatever. I'll stick with Battlefield 3; that game is pure money!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
At least it wasn't BF3 copies that got stolen, couldn't care less for the CoD series anymore - Activision killed the series like most other things they get in touch with, the franchises gets corroded and the creativity of the devs gets thrown out of the window when its all about money.

I purchased BF3 for less and it delivers more so its a simple choice for me where the money goes.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I doubt they keep track of every key being shipped. They'll have to take that as a loss. Thieves if their stupid they'll sale them @ $20 if smart they can get rid of them quick for $30/$35. $32.50x6000 = $195,000. And that game will not even depreciate so they can easily sale it at 30-35. Or wholesale it.

Sunfighterlc

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]True. With the keys blocked it was nothing but a 6000+ piece frisbee heist.[/citation]

Thats only if you assume the people they are selling them to are aware they are hot. Youre talking a retail heist of $360,000 that was protected by only one truck driver. Most people robbing banks dont get off with that much.

G

Keys blocked or not, they can still sell them. Blocking the keys will only hurt the ignorant purchasers...

This would have been great news if the copies had been burned or run over with a steam roller... I had to get some "fanboy" hate in there but don't really care either way... news is news is news...

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Sunfighterlc[/nom]Thats only if you assume the people they are selling them to are aware they are hot. Youre talking a retail heist of $360,000 that was protected by only one truck driver. Most people robbing banks dont get off with that much.[/citation]
Not to mention that stealing disks isn't a felony.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Theres still hype surrounding this crapfest? I feel pity for people who's willing to get ripped off for 60 buck expansion that is only worth 5 bucks pop =/

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Can't Activision just not enable online play until the release date? They could still play single player, but its not really a big deal. Just either fine the stores that sold the game early or deny them future releases.

But really, with BF3 out now, who is going to be playing MW3? I guess I'll have to try it out before I can say that with finality, but given how crappy MW2 was (compared to COD4) I can't see it being nearly as good as BF3. And this is from a long-term COD fan (since COD1). I guess maybe MW3 is good on consoles?

And on top of that, Skyrim is out on Friday, so who cares about any other games until at least December. Motherf*cking SKYRIM!!

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]Not to mention that stealing disks isn't a felony.[/citation]

I believe theft becomes a felony once the worth hits a certain limit. Then again, I could be wrong considering I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.