Thin vertical red lines on my laptop display... Pics included!

StephanT

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
Hi there I am currently having an issue with my laptop's display. One day I was using it to check Facebook and emails and all of a sudden thin red vertical lines appeared on the screen. I wasn't doing anything intensive and haven't downloaded any new software. I've searched around and other people have had this problem but have been unable to find a solution. I'm guessing this is a GPU issue but am sure as I am not to knowledgeable about these things.

Here are some pictures of what is happening:
http://imgur.com/z1NqQdZ <-- of my specs
http://imgur.com/YoxiKyP <-- picture of the red lines taken with potato camera

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this that would be great.

S

Warrgarbl

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Easiest way would be removing the display bezel and removing the display cover and checking if the LVDS cable is still seated properly (unlikely). Other than that I suppose that your display or GPU / memory is defective. If I had to judge from experience I'd say that the pattern of the lines points towards a display issue though.

StephanT

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014

Thanks I currently can't try that out as I am backpacking through the Philippines.. but definitely not software related?

S

Warrgarbl

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Unfortunately this is definitely a hardware issue. Like I said my best bet would be that the display itself is damaged, but there is a possibility that the onboard VGA is defective or that the RAM is faulty (where the GPU gets its VRAM from).

Try to connect an external monitor to see if you get a clear picture, run memtest86+ to check for RAM errors and, if you trust yourself enough, try to reseat the LVDS cable (again, very unlikely). This would help with pinpointing the cause.

EDIT: Actually you could try to apply gentle pressure to the back of your display cover, in the lower third. If the image changes there is an LVDS problem.