Think Movies are Expensive to Make? Games Are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
It's amazing the the price to make a game has gone up so much, yet the overall quality and complexity of game play has gone down. I think there is too much money sunk into marketing these days.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]It's amazing the the price to make a game has gone up so much, yet the overall quality and complexity of game play has gone down. I think there is too much money sunk into marketing these days.[/citation]
Hahahahah, what!? I'm sorry, but that's seriously the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Go back and play the run-of-the-mill SNES game in the 90s, and then play a run-of-the-mill PC game released today. Our standards are a lot higher than they used to be.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
All the more reason, I feel, for companies to give us incentives to buy games and not torrent them instead. Note i said 'incentives', not DRM.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Grand Theft Auto IV had over $500 million in revenue after just one week of being on sale. Halo 3 had $174 million in revenue 24 hours after hitting the streets. Am I supposed to be sympathetic because of high development costs when these companies are making triple their investment in the first 24 hours of release? I understand that not all of the revenue goes to the developers but even if just 20% of it goes back to the developers GTA4 was raking in pure profit after week 1.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Money in no way equals quality. If the gaming industry continues down this path, we're going to see an inordinate amount of high-budget stinkers come out on a regular basis for the rest of the foreseeable future.

Oh wait, we're already at that point. GTA IV, anyone?

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
"Most games today have Hollywood movie budgets."

No real surprise with all the money they waste on trying to make cinematic cut scenes. If game play lacks adding more cut scenes is the trend developers have been using for the last 10+ years.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Yeah some of these games make several times their budget but they have to makeup for all the stinkers like Too Human.

One thing I want to know, are these just the production budgets or do they also include the marketing/promotional budgets?

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I bet league of legends didn't cost anywhere close to those games and yet has game play better than pretty much all of the above.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It's amazing how you can throw that kind on money around & not come out with a good game. Now they should also give you the break down on advertising & marketing from those figures...

G

None of my top 10 games even made the list, showing that $ spent does not = quality! (tho a few of my top 10 are more then 15 years old now!)

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]Hahahahah, what!? I'm sorry, but that's seriously the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.Go back and play the run-of-the-mill SNES game in the 90s, and then play a run-of-the-mill PC game released today. Our standards are a lot higher than they used to be.[/citation]
define "quality" Are you talking about graphics? Game play?,etc?

Imo, most of the PC games now are cr@ppy console ports and just re-makes. There haven't been any "revolutionary" games in a while for PC (ie for example Crysis was to graphics whereas Doom was to FPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.